Video showing of the Goldwing

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Britwanders
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Aspencade 1200 GL (A gift from a stranger!)

Video showing of the Goldwing

Postby Britwanders » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:25 am

Hi all,

I have been trying to find a video, or a picture page, showing what each piece of the engine is. Starter? Fuel pump? This, that , and the other? Just walk around the bike and name everything you see and can point to. I know the tires, brakes (if there's another name for some part of the brake, be sure to mention it, please) and I even know the stator. I know the battery and the spark plugs. I start to get lost after that. Is there such a video? Anyone know how I can get to watch it?

I'm having a big problem with my electrical system, have VERY little money, and the bike is my only transportation. Jason Stegman in Fargo North Dakota did a poor boy conversion when the stator went out. (If you need work done to your older metric bike, contact me and I'll give you his number; the guy is AWESOME!) He added a kill switch to disconnect the battery from the bike so that the draw on the system didn't drain the battery, but now it is seeming as though there is a draw, but I checked the switch and it is doing its job.

When I first start the bike, it really doesn't like to start. It will sputter and die (with or without the choke) and I have to baby the throttle until it warms up a bit. There's a serious clunk in it several times each morning. There's occasional odd drops in the rpms: 1100 to 940 to 1060 to 1100...and when I let it go to its normal rpm range of 1000, it'll run okay for a minute and then drop to 820, then up to 880 or 930, then will pop back to 1000. I just changed the fuel filter (nope) air filter (nope) spark plugs (nope), changed the oil and filter (nope). Nothing that I know how to do myself seems to work. At 3000 rpm cruising speed, there'll tiny little backfires, sounding like they're coming through the air filter. They are so soft I can barely hear them.

Yesterday, while riding two up while hauling a trailer, in the middle of a 5 mile long traffic jam in Seattle, the clutch went out. I somehow made it home with wrecking. I checked the reservoir by the clutch handle and it was low, and brownish. I filled up all the reservoirs that needed it. The clutch worked today, but I wasn't trusting of it. I have a relatively new battery in it that was tested a month ago and it tested good.

My mom is going to be having open heart surgery on Aug 12th and I have to ride 500 miles to get to the hospital. So, I need help. I'm presently in West Seattle, if anyone is local and would do me the favor of swinging by and educating me a little. I have to be able to rely on the machine. Especially now! Help? Anything in this post ring a bell for anyone? All help is GREATLY appreciated!!

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Video showing of the Goldwing

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:27 am

If your clutch fluid is brown, you really should flush the line between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder and refill with clean fluid. The fluid loss is likely the result of a leaking seal in the slave cylinder or in a loose banjo fitting (or bad crush washers in the fitting) where the clutch hydraulic line bolts to the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is located on the clutch housing cover at the rear of the engine.

As far as a "walk around" video, I'd recommend searching the internet for a downloadable shop manual and a parts manual. The parts manuals I have show all the parts of the bike in exploded view and they're searchable for specific parts as they're in .pdf format.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”