85 Interstate Start Solenoid issues

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1200

85 Interstate Start Solenoid issues

Postby Jesus1st » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi This is my 1st post, I recently got a Wing from an old man who had kept it in storage for years, it only has about 50k miles, and hasn't been registered in over 6 yrs.
To start with I went through the fuel system; found the tank piping clogged, and had to do some mods. In the end we got it ready to start and then the problems started.
Someone had already done the 4 yellow wire fix, but the wires to the solenoid were all fried. I got a new solenoid and replaced the leads. Now when I try to start the bike nothing happens. I have traced the wires they are all good, good continuity, but its like I have no ground to solenoid. I found that if I jumper from the Green/Red wire to the Neg terminal on the battery it starts. However it occasionally stick and the starter wont disengage. I have to pull the battery leads to stop it, and even then if I touch the terminal to the battery it acts like it has a direct short.
Additionally I just noticed the Silicon Rectifier (name given in wiring diagram Small black cube with 2 wires both Green/Red) is shorted, not sure what this is supposed to do in the circuit or if it is even needed.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 85 Interstate Start Solenoid issues

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:32 pm

The silicon rectifier is a diode - it should conduct in one direction only.

It sounds like you might need to replace your solenoid, if it is sticking like you say. That may also be the cause of your no-start.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”