Trunk lid broken off

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
fcanary
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Interstate

Trunk lid broken off

Postby fcanary » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:51 pm

Help, need a quick fix. Semi-permanent at least, if not permanent. While riding today, almost at the end of our ride, I noticed my trunk lid was bouncing around. I was almost home so I figured it would be ok. While turning a corner the whole damn lid came off. Thank gawd I was the only one on the street. The lid broke off at the hinges. Or should I say the plastic broke through. Now my dilemma, I am on vacation for the next two weeks and plan to ride a lot. If I found some ABS plastic, glued pieces on both sides, redrilled the holes, got longer hinge bolts to put through, does anyone think that would work? I can ride without the cover but The Mrs. Wouldn't feel safe without it. What do you guys think?

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Trunk lid broken off

Postby SilverDave » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:53 pm

If you get all the paint off, ABS plastic glue will do the job ( available at Home depot)

If you cannot find any sheet ABS, saw down, lengthwise an ABS pipe, soften it in oven , or with heat gun, and flatten it out .

The only problem with even thin ABS on both sides is the lid might no longer align , and might not close ..

-------------------------------------------------------
My entire top box cracked along the bottom front side and because of stress, opened up about 1/2 inch . It was under the box liner, so I could not see that was broken for several months .

Instead of making an ABs " slurrey" from legos and solvent ( see Wing Admin's trick elsewhere on this site )
I chose to fill the crack with JB 5 minute weld ( also black) and after 3 applications, and smoothing with a wet finger , I re-inforced it the now smooth seam with two coats of fibreglass cloth and fibreglass liquid .

Very strong , and looks invisible, since its under the back of seat.

Hardened Fibreglass, and 2 layers of cloth even just on the inside and longer bolts would be plenty strong enough to hold your hinge secure.

So would ABS glue, and thin pieces of abs plate... but that might look pretty ugly from the outside

----------------------------------------
The problem is getting any of these repair tricks to stick .
Whether using glass, JB weld, or ABS pieces and ABS glue or ABS slurrey .... be sure to power sand right down to the black ... all the paint must be gone.

--------------------------------------------------

In your case, the hinge is visible, so you will have to work more carefully than I did .
Good Luck

SilverDave

fcanary

Postby fcanary » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Thanks SilverDave for the tip.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:44 pm

I think what I would do is cut out the broken areas on the trunk, then fashion a piece of ABS to fit in it. I'd get a thicker piece of ABS, and glue a thinner piece (thickness of the trunk) that is the same size as the piece cut out of the trunk. Sand away the paint on the inside of the trunk and glue the repair piece in place, on the inside of the trunk - the more area of the trunk and repair piece glued together, the better.

Then drill the replacement piece and re-attach the hinges, with longer bolts.

Sorry for my horrendous artistry.

Replacement piece
Replacement piece

fcanary

Postby fcanary » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:50 am

Horrendous? It's a piece of art! Thanks for the info.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Thats a bit more work, but a much stronger and better fix . A double plate like that will be stronger than the original lid.
There is a lot of force on the hinges of trunk lid, so thats worth doing .

Your problem might be finding the two required pieces of ABS plate.

As I said, warming and cutting open a ABS pipe works well .

Oven warmed, slice down the pipe, flatten ( with two boards , top and bottom , while still warm ), trim off the rough edges on a bandsaw, and there you are.

SilverDave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:06 pm

SilverDave wrote:Thats a bit more work, but a much stronger and better fix . A double plate like that will be stronger than the original lid.
There is a lot of force on the hinges of trunk lid, so thats worth doing .

Your problem might be finding the two required pieces of ABS plate.

As I said, warming and cutting open a ABS pipe works well .

Oven warmed, slice down the pipe, flatten ( with two boards , top and bottom , while still warm ), trim off the rough edges on a bandsaw, and there you are.

SilverDave

For ABS panels that must be flat/straight, I will buy them raw, and I find Amazon is a good source:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ingdocs-20

fcanary

Postby fcanary » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:09 pm

I've bought the ABS from Amazon, now just waiting for some time to do the repair. Thanks guys

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”