bike sat for 6 weeks, won't start

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

bike sat for 6 weeks, won't start

Postby maestro319 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:52 am

I was gone for 10 days early in the summer. Then came down with Lyme disease, of all things!!! So my '95 Goldwing sat for 6 weeks + without being started. When I finally checked it, it was out of gas. Put a couple of gallons in it, wouldn't start. Put a charger on it overnight, tried this a m, STILL wouldn't start. Any ideas on what to do next?? Thanks.

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: bike sat for 6 weeks, won't start

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:57 am

Ill point you in a direction to follow.
Pull one spark plug wire,attach a plug and crank the engine for just a couple of seconds.
See if it has spark.
If it's OK the next likley problem is no fuel getting I to the carbs.Do remember that there will be no fuel if you crank the bike with the throttle wide open.The fuel shutoff valve is vacuum operated.A wide open throttle at cranking will lead to no vacuum to open the valve.
Do measure the volts on the battery during cranking.It must stay above 10.2 volts.The ignition module doesn't like low volts.
If everything is correct,you will need to verify that the carbs are getting fuel.
Problem areas...Fuel filter,vacuum fuel valve,fuel pump does not work,stuck floats..
You can hear the fuel pump cycle in the gas tank for 2 seconds every time you cycle the key on and off.

Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:39 am

I hope you are fully recovered and over the Lyme disease. That can really be a serious problem and I hope you have it totally behind you!

I am assuming initially that the engine turns over when cranked and sounds like it wants to start but nothing fires.
If there was no stabilizer in the fuel, I would start worrying about the effects of ethanol on the fuel supply system at this point.

But Virgilmobile is correct, first check the battery to insure that it is good, You can check it in the bike as he notes or pull it after charging and take it to a auto parts store and have them do a load test. This is especially important if the engine does not turn over like it wants to start. The next thing as he notes is to check the ignition system to see if you have spark. If no spark the the problem may be electrical, but if you have spark then the problem may be in the fuel system.

Virgilmobile gives you a great way to go through the fuel system checking things in a logical sequence.
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:21 pm

Spray a little starter fluid into the intake. That will resurrect a dead horse. If it doesn't fire or pop, it's an spark ignition problem. If it starts and dies, it's not getting any gas. Simple inexpensive test.

1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”