1986 goldwing SEi fuel issue

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

1986 goldwing SEi fuel issue

Postby cfoth » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:32 pm

I bought this bike needing a fuel pump according to po. Would run till warmed up then fuel pump would die. Not original pump. When it finally happened to me the pump was squealing really bad and sounded like it was seizing up. I bought prelude fuel pump and noticed that the fuel petcock doesn't shut off and I had to drain the fuel into a can. Installed pump and had "fuel system" light in dash and lights blinking in ecu indicating bad gl sensor. Found new sensor installed had nothing, Found bad fuse. Start bike and sometimes had "fuel system" light and same lights in ecu. If I cycle fuel pump several times I can start bike and fuel system light will stay off. Rode about 40 miles and the pump (the one the po put on as I broke the fitting off prelude pump) started squealing and seized again. Not sure where to turn. About $300.00 invested and back to square one. Is it possible that the petcock is the problem Not allowing return to tank therefore Not enough flow to cool pump??? Grasping at straws at this point

Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: 1986 goldwing SEi fuel issue

Postby newday777 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:38 am

Have you inspected and cleaned the tank? If the petcock wasn't working properly and pump went out good possibility the tank is dirty or rusty.
If you haven't opened the tank and inspect and clean, derust by removing the sender unit under the seat, start there. Instructions are in the how to section of the forum.
Then fix the busted fitting or get another pump.
Have you put a new fuel filter on? They are specific for the fuel injection gl1200s.
Post back a reply here any questions on the fuel system and also a reply here how you fixed your fuel problem to close this post so it's not left hanging unfinished and that helps others learn later that use the search tool.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”