Worn Starter Brushes

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100

Worn Starter Brushes

Postby GDaub » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:44 pm

Have a 1985 Limited that i replaced the Stator, for the second time. Started it twice, after i reinstalled the engine and the starter would not engage. Found the brushes were worn completely out of a starter that didn't start the bike more than 50 times. Replaced the brushes and rode it for a month and starter brushes were gone again. Anybody got any ideas? is it possible that the starter clutch is stuck and the engine is constantly spinning the starter?

Second thing that is happening is the bike back fires when coasting up to stop signs. Does it when the bike gets around 2,000 rpm. Changed the sparkplugs and it still does it. Has plenty of power and runs down the road clean. Has new timing belts and i rechecked the timing, it's seems right on. Backfire is through the exhaust.

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd

Re: Worn Starter Brushes

Postby Right Winger » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:53 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is that the bearings might be severly worn and taking out the brushes. You should get a rebuild kit and replace the bearings as well . IMHO

Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Worn Starter Brushes

Postby oldishwinger » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:19 pm

I had that backfire when decelerating, and I think it was the air cut off valve causing it, the bike had done a lot of sitting before I got it, having run a cleaner through the oil and petrol, the back fire stopped soon after I had but some mileage on.

it is common for the sprag clutch, (is that right?) that engages the starter, to become full of gunk and cause starting issues, not if that is the issue with you, but a cleaner through the oil couldnt hurt

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”