1200 Dies once warmed up

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
jrmelando
Motorcycle: 1986 GL 1200 Aspencade

1200 Dies once warmed up

Postby jrmelando » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:36 pm

Hello,

I have a 1200 Aspencade that sat with very little gas in the tank for a couple weeks.
I went to go for a ride. Bike started with no issue under full choke running about 2000-3000 RPM during warm up which is pretty normal. Once the bike warms up (read: the first bar on the temp gauge is illuminated) the RPMs drop slowly over the course of a minute or so. RPMs drop to the point that without the choke fully engaged the bike dies. The bike would run full choked but once the throttle is engaged the bike dies.

Here is what i have done so far:
First thought was bad gas, so i purchased a gallon of Premium (the expensive stuff) and a bottle of STP fuel system cleaner. as a result the bike turned over just fine, but once the the bike warms up, same result, dies.

I would like to solve this without throwing parts at the problem. Apart from this, i have never had any issues with the bike.
Any Advice?

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: 1200 Dies once warmed up

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:56 am

What little I remember about working on engines and its not much, is it sounds like a carburator problem. Like vacumn or lack of. Hardened rubber lines in and around the carbs. I doubt if it electrical.

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Postby newday777 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:13 am

Welcome to the forum
1-Is this a new bike to you? How long have you had this bike? What is the bike's history????
2-Was it running properly, riden daily/weekly by you before this "couple week layup"???
3-Have you changed the gas filter this year yet?(very important along with a clean air filter)

Premium gas won't help. These wings were designed to run on regular gas.

Seafoam is the more proven cleaner on the bikes. My suggestion is to drain off your gas tank(you can pull the gas line and drain the tank at the petcock.) Put in a full can of Seafoam and fill tank with 4-5 gallons of fresh 87 octane gas. Ride the bike for 20 miles to mix up the gas and Seafoam. Park it and idle it for 20 minutes to get the mix into the idle circuits of the carbs.(don't walk away, keep a close watch on the temp gauge) Then let it set 24 hours to clean the carbs. Then ride out the tank of gas in one ride the next day. This usually works on wings that haven't set unused more than 6 months.

jrmelando

Postby jrmelando » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:59 am

newday777 wrote:Welcome to the forum
1-Is this a new bike to you? How long have you had this bike? What is the bike's history????
2-Was it running properly, riden daily/weekly by you before this "couple week layup"???
3-Have you changed the gas filter this year yet?(very important along with a clean air filter)

I have owned this wing since 2012, never had any trouble with it. prior to that it was allegedly owned by an air force mechanic who was the original owner.
Before this issue it always ran well, It would hesitate in first gear during the first 45 seconds of a ride. I always chalked this up to it being an old bike.

I am going to replace the air and fuel filter today, along with replacing the gas and using seafoam.

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby mrtwowheel » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:55 pm

Yes, this may be a fuel flow problem. Could be a slow moving fuel filter. Try running it without the gas cap on. There is a diaphragm type rubber in the gas cap that let's air in as the fuel goes down, this can get clogged with fuel gum (lacquer) and cause the fuel to not flow. I believe that the '86 Honda Civic is a direct replacement, less than $7 at AutoZone and O'Reilly's. The gas cap can also be cleaned with solvents that dissolve gum and are friendly to rubber and paint. Good preventative maintenance anyways to clean or replace the cap. Seafoam=Great Stuff

Scott

jrmelando

Postby jrmelando » Thu May 05, 2016 10:37 am

Howdy folks,

It has been a long winter and It is time to get this wing back on her feet.

Status update:
-no longer starts, I will get a few chugs but it never kicks over.

Here is what I did over the winter:
-new gas with seafoam
-new spark plugs
-new fuel lines from petcock all the way to the T joint before the carbs
-new fuel filter
-confirmed the fuel pump was pushing the right volume of gas.

The last thing I did this winter (and i am not sure why) was drained the float bowls. Left side carbs, full of gas and seafoam. Right side carbs, nothing. On one of the trips to the shop I asked the mechanic if they would work on an '86, I explained the symptoms and he was pretty confident the carbs needed to be cleaned. He quoted about 600-700 for the carb job, parts and labor.

After a few weeks of moaning and complaining. I called the shop to schedule the service. 700 bucks on a bike that might sell for 3000 is a bitter pill to swallow. The good news is it won't cost $700, the shop doesn't want to do the service. So I am doing it myself.

I purchased the Carb kit and manual from Randakk's cycle shop and it has been a big help. Day one was a few hours getting the carbs off the bike. Day two consisted of getting them separated and tearing down carb #3. I think i may have found the source of some of my issues:

about an hour of disassemling and cleaning yielded this:

I am still going to boil each carb in distilled water before I reassemble.
One of my main questions, what other things should I do while I have the carbs off?

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Postby newday777 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:53 am

Yes boil them out. Be sure to get the tiny orings out from below the needles first.
After boil spray with carb clean all the tiny ports. Follow Ranndak's instructions fully.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”