Bike would not start this morning 1986 1200

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Ken Styles
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Intersate

Bike would not start this morning 1986 1200

Postby Ken Styles » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:22 am

Hi all,

I woke up to a dead bike this morning. I'm not sure if I left it on the parking lights or if there was some other problem.

I tried to jump start it with a power pack, but it did not start. The dash lights came on in the headlights came on but no turn over.

I've been pushed it down the hill to try to push started I started rolling in at about 10 miles per hour I threw it in second and pop the clutch the engine turned on and the bike was moving but the engine was sputtering.

The battery wouldn't charge I guess I was going too slow. (rpms not high enough?)

So I made it back around the block and parked it. The bike was sputtering and misfiring, and backfired once. But it was moving. No power though. Just putting along at 10 miles per hour. The battery gauge pin was bouncing up and down sporadically.

Now I am charging the battery on a charger. I hope it's just a dead battery, and not something more serious like the alternator or stater

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Bike would not start this morning 1986 1200

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:23 am

The bike depends on the battery for ignition at low RPM - below about 2500 RPM, your bike is actually running (at least partially) off the battery, because the stator is not putting out enough to both charge the battery and run the ignition.

If your battery is dead, it will be sucking a tremendous amount of power from the stator, which means even less is available for the ignition - which is why it was sputtering and backfiring. The power pack might provide enough power to light up the lights and so on, but the amps are not going to be there to crank the engine.

You must let the battery charge, as you are now doing, then give it another try.

Ken Styles
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Intersate

Postby Ken Styles » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:27 am

ok, i'll give it another shot.

Did riding it for a few mintues in that state mess anything up?

will be battery work as normal after the recharge? Or would I have to buy a new battery?

also just to confirm...these are 12 volt batteries right? not 6 volt?

I'm asking because the battery had no voltage markings on it

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:36 am

Ken Styles wrote:ok, i'll give it another shot.

Did riding it for a few mintues in that state mess anything up?

will be battery work as normal after the recharge? Or would I have to buy a new battery?

also just to confirm...these are 12 volt batteries right? not 6 volt?

I'm asking because the battery had no voltage markings on it

As long as you didn't blow any parts of the exhaust system apart from the backfires, no, no harm will have been done.

As long as the battery is in good shape, it should work fine after it has been recharged. If it is not holding its charge, it may need to be replaced. And it is a 12 volt battery.

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby mrtwowheel » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:05 pm

Don't replace the battery. Top it up to the full line with distilled water. Take it to AutoZone, they will check it for free, then take it to O'reilly's and get a second opinion. Clean and tighten the battery connections, don't use dielectric grease, it is an insulator and not a conductor. Follow the ground cable to where it connects to the bike, clean that connection. Clean the positive cable connections. Next would be the stator wires and stator check.......and so on.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”