transmission/clutch problem?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade with sidecar
1989 Yamaha XV250 Virago, Route 66 model

transmission/clutch problem?

Postby Saintjude33 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:54 pm

I've finally gotten about 80% of this beast on the road- minor issues to take care of, but all in due time. Replaced the carb rack from ebay, now I have a spare :D changed the stator and R/R, got a decent one I believe,came from Caltric, so looks slightly reputable. I've got a couple issues to clear out that I'm a bit puzzled on.

I'll take the baby out to go to work, and on the way home I take the scenic route- one of the perks of living in Northwest CT. I'll be cruising along and the engine slips out of gear- kinda strange. The stranger thing is, it doesn't happen all the time. My go-to guy thinks it might be an adjustment off, but I don't think that's it- hydraulic clutch. The only thing I can think of is the motor oil I am using. I know the can of worms I'm opening up here, but I'm using Rotella oil as I've heard it's a better one. My only concern is that the first time I did the oil on it I used T5 and it was the silver "energy Saving" oil, even though the little symbol on back didn't say so. I barely ran it, maybe 25 miles, and it was fone. Then I did the stator and when I put it back together I used Rotella T Triple in the white jug.

My only big concern about these is that I literally JUST notices that they are both tagged as HEAVY DUTY DIESIL oil, both 10W-30. Could this be causing the problem?

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: transmission/clutch problem?

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:57 pm

Only way to know for sure is to try a different oil and see if the behavior changes.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”