BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR OR RADIATOR OR HEAD GASKET?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
pastorcliff
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR OR RADIATOR OR HEAD GASKET?

Postby pastorcliff » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:11 am

84 ASPENCADE GL1200
DAY 1 - noticed horn sounding funny (1/2 power)
DAY 2 - (6 hr ride) 2 hrs in, it's overheating 6-7 bars. Next Hr 7-8 bars (top). So I coast & stop at gas station to cool. 1 cup down antifreeze. Then it won't start (dash flashes and starter clicks). Got a jump start and it runs fine for next 3 Hrs.
DAY 3 - Roll start. Go to Bike Mechanic. he says it's one of 2 problems
ALTERNATOR (putting out 12v) has ruined battery or BATTERY (only charging to 9v) has ruined alternator (BATTERY is 1 mo old).
Mechanic replaces 3 wires (3 stator wires I believe) because one was corroded. A little more juice came thru. Need new Battery.
DAY 4 - PU new battery fully charged. Run bike for hwy hour with no problems. Diff Mechanic checked and and
ALTERNATOR (putting out 13.5 at battery and BATTERY at full strength. Should be good for next day 6 hr ride!
DAY 5 - 3 Hrs in and I'm limping in to gas station. OVERHEATING AGAIN! Let cool down. Have to ROLL START it. Another Hr and it needs to have another road side rest (Overheating). Something weird happened 30 min earlier ... 3 minutes of sputtering/loss of power/missing and then it comes back to FULL POWER (happens later again). run it for another hour and battery is completely dead, will not roll start or even remain running going down hill with clutch in.

BACK AT HOME - Charge Battery, Do a RAD FLUSH, & Go for a 1/2 hr ride. Everything running perfect (4 bars). On my way back home 3 minutes of sputtering/Loss of power and this time I notice BILLOWS OF WHITE EXHAUST (Thinking HEAD GASKET) and then it comes back to FULL POWER again! Make it home.
NEXT DAY - Pull 4 plugs and (according to the GOLDWINGDOCS SPARK PLUG GUIDE) my plugs look normal (one has DRY BLACK over inner white part of electrode but otherwise NORMAL TOO!

GOLDWING MECHANICS, THIS IS MY 2ND GOLDIE AND i LOVE WORKING ON THEM, BUT WHAT'S UP???

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR OR RADIATOR OR HEAD GASKET?

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 am

Do you have an aftermarket alternator installed, or do you have the original stator?

Have you checked your master (dogbone) fuse? Take it out and examine it closely for cracks.

When you were overheating, at what speeds were you riding?

If at slow speeds, and you are down on voltage, I'm thinking it's possible that your radiator fan was not being run at sufficient speed to move enough air to keep the engine cool.

pastorcliff

Postby pastorcliff » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:53 am

Thanks for the reply...
-Orig alternator.
-Haven't checked the fuse (I will look that up and check that!
-Overheating at HWY speeds 110 and then I would eventually pull over and let fan cool (when there was enough battery juice)
-Doesn't seem to be a problem at slow speeds - More long distance, High speeds
-I'll check the link

pastorcliff

Postby pastorcliff » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:25 pm

Checked the dogbone fuse - it's in perfect condition.

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Postby 702scottc » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:45 pm

You may want to replace the thermostat and radiator cap as well. Usually overheating at hwy speed is a thermostat stuck open, slower engine speed gives the coolant a chance to cool thru the radiator.

pastorcliff

Postby pastorcliff » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:50 pm

thermostat was on my list. Was curious if all these problems (overheating, dead battery, white exhaust-Right cylinders not firing for 3-5 min on hwy and then coming back) all had a common denominator ??

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby mrtwowheel » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:27 am

I see you're in Ca na da. An auto parts store should be able to check your battery for free, I take mine to AutoZone and O'reilly's for two opinions. They can do a load test. You need to do the "stator test". Yeah, you could have two different problems, but it does take a lot of juice to run that fan.

Scott

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”