GL1200 Missing at takeoff and low rpm?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
dtherren
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Interstate

GL1200 Missing at takeoff and low rpm?

Postby dtherren » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:46 am

86 Interstate with 50,000 miles.

I searched thru the forum but didnt find anything specific to the GL1200.

This just started today. Momma and I took a ride out of town. It has been running fine until today.

I thought I was imagining things at first, but soon realized I wasnt. Just at letting the clutch go to take off and shortly thereafter, it misses and cuts out . Probably less than 1500 rpm. After that it runs fine. I even slowed down to almost a stop, and took off redlining it it each gear. No issues. Choke on, or choke off. Same issue. Just as I let the clutch go and shortly after. Just happens under load from takeoff.

The only thing different today was momma with me. She only weighs 120 tho, so not a big load, but some.

As a shade-tree mechanic, I would guess plugs are the issue, but not sure. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Be Safe!
"freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin

dtherren

Re: GL1200 Missing at takeoff and low rpm?

Postby dtherren » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:48 am

Update.

I pulled plugs and checked them. they were clean. I checked battery connections just in case it was a short. No issues there. I pulled the fuel filter and replaced it.

It does kinda act like a low rpm missfire of some kind. Just right a throttle open to about 1200 rpm.
Be Safe!
Janis Joplin

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:43 pm

Check the master "dogbone" fuse located in the starter solenoid assembly. It can crack invisibly and fail, causing your bike to do what you're describing.

dtherren

Postby dtherren » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:17 pm

WingAdmin, are you talking about the one behind the battery, or on the starter itself? Thanks
Be Safe!
Janis Joplin

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:35 pm

Just behind the battery, you'll see this black box:

GL1200 main fuse assembly
GL1200 main fuse assembly

Flip it open, and inside you'll see the main "dogbone" fuse:

GL1200 main "dogbone" fuse
GL1200 main "dogbone" fuse

Most people just replace this with a waterproof 30 amp blade fuse holder, and avoid this problem in future. See:

Electrical Issue

dtherren

Postby dtherren » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:21 pm

That is where I thought you were talking about. It dont look bad, but I have a spare in there. I will change it. I got plugs too. Thanks.
Be Safe!
Janis Joplin

dtherren

Postby dtherren » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:55 pm

Well, not sure which it was, but I tend to lean towards the plugs fouling out running regular gas. I have ran 93 octane in everything I own for years, including my wings. I quit running 93 as a trial and a week later, it starts acting up. I will go back to the 93.

I also change the dog bone fuse. It was bowed a bit like a fuse does when it gets hot just before it blows.

I hasn't ran this good since I got it. It has always seemed like it had a miss, or a lope like the old hemi's do, but smooth as a my wife's cheeks now....lol.

Wow. I'm happy. Cant have my girl feeling bad and running bad!

Thanks WingAdmin.
Be Safe!
Janis Joplin

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Hey guys,
just had a long time friend and very long time Harley rider / mechanic / etc. I didn't know this but he says always run premium gas in these Goldwings. Mines an '86 1200. True or not true? Will higher premium effect aluminum? rubber hoses? seals?
And...Idle has been running at 720...760 since I got it last April. He and my owner's manual both say 1000 plus or minus 100.
So, any thoughts on always running premium gas and idle speed? I'm new and can use all the advice I can get. Thanks.
By the way...I trust his opinion very much.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:09 pm

Running premium gas in the wings will do one thing: empty your wallet quicker.

A lot of people equate more octane = more power, and primarily that's because the oil companies market it this way, to try to entice you into buying their more expensive premium gasoline. In fact, it's the LOWER octane gasoline that has more potential power in it.

The problem with gasoline (or more accurately, gasoline vapor) is that it has a relatively low flashpoint - that's the temperature at which it will ignite. When the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder is being compressed by the piston, its temperature increases (a byproduct of being compressed). Combine this with the fact that the cylinder and piston are already quite hot from the previous ignition cycle, along with carbon deposits that may be left in the cylinder which themselves retain heat quite well, and the fuel/air mixture could ignite spontaneously before the spark plug fires.

Now in a diesel engine, this is a good thing - that's precisely how diesel engines function (they have no spark plugs). However, in a gasoline engine, it's called detonation (or preignition), and it's a very bad thing. Why detonation? Because the entire fuel/air mixture "goes off" all at once, like an explosion, very violent - unlike the calculated and gradual burning that normally happens when the spark plug normally ignites it. Have you ever heard your engine make a pinging noise - particularly when under load at high power (i.e. wide open throttle, going up a hill, pulling a trailer)? That's detonation. The reason it's so damaging to your engine, is because detonation normally happens while the piston is still moving upward in its compression cycle. All of a sudden, there is this massive violent force trying to shove the piston down while the rest of the engine is still pushing it upward. This violent force resonates through the piston, connecting arm and crankshaft, and can even affect the main bearings.

OK, so detonation is bad. How do we fix it? By increasing the "octane rating" of the fuel. This in effect raises the flashpoint temperature, so the fuel/air mixture can be compressed more before it detonates. In high-performance engines, which eke every bit of power out of the fuel by highly compressing the fuel/air mixture before igniting it, the high-octane fuel is a necessity. Similarly, supercharged or turbocharged (or properly: turbosupercharged) engines, which pressurize the air before it even gets mixed with fuel and inducted into the engine, absolutely require higher-octane fuel.

Ironically, today's computerized cars that require premium fuel - actually don't. Modern automobile engines have "knock sensors" that detects when detonation is occuring, and will automatically and invisibly retard the timing on the engine to stop it. So you can pump a tank of regular gas into your "premium only" performance car, and it will run just fine - albeit with lower horsepower, because of the retarded timing. (note: this is NOT the case with turbocharged cars, which should ALWAYS be fed premium fuel)

On the other hand, engines that are designed for regular fuel (like our Goldwings) don't benefit one whit from putting higher octane fuel in them. They're already designed to run on the lower flashpoint fuel, so putting in more expensive fuel that has a higher flashpoint temperature that will never be reached doesn't do a thing. There will be a slight difference, however: higher octane fuel, because it holds slightly less energy, will actually give you a slight decrease in both horsepower and fuel efficiency (mpg). Let me say that again: putting higher octane fuel into an engine designed to run on regular fuel, will cause that engine to produce less power, and use more gas going the same distance.

This is precisely the opposite of what the oil companies want you to think. Their ads tell you how their ultra/premium/high-octane fuel will give you all kinds of power. And that's true - as long as your car already requires premium gas.

So here's a good rule of thumb: If your vehicle requires premium gas, then put premium in it, unless you're broke, in which case put regular in.

If your vehicle takes regular, then put regular in it - unless you hear pinging or knocking under load, in which case, either go to the next higher octane number, or try a different brand of fuel. I know for a fact that my Goldwing is picky about the brand of fuel I put in it. Otherwise - don't waste your money.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”