Backfire and then dead

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
lkluckman
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

Backfire and then dead

Postby lkluckman » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:59 pm

I took a nice ride during the Bike Fest in Lake Ozark, Missouri over the weekend. I made it 50 miles, and then out of the blue, my 1986 GL1200I back fired twice really load. I then had nothing but electric lights on the dash and a headlight. I pushed the start switch and could hear a click, but the bike never tried to turn-over. I tried push-starting it, and nothing. I now have it on a trailer looking for the problem. I have been having problems with charging. I also experienced problems starting. Sometimes it would turn over smoothly, then other times it labored. Is this my stator that has gone bad? HELP !

firstwing85
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
1983 V65 Magna

Re: Backfire and then dead

Postby firstwing85 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:57 pm

Do you still have the dog bone fuses?
If so get rid of them and replace them with inline fuses, there should be one on the starter selinoid and another one in a fuse box behind the selinoid.
Then I would check the starter itself, I had to get a stater rebuild kit for mine recently and rebuild my starter.

What you're describing doesn't sound like the stator to me so check these easier things first.
Johan

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:30 pm

lkluckman wrote:I took a nice ride during the Bike Fest in Lake Ozark, Missouri over the weekend. I made it 50 miles, and then out of the blue, my 1986 GL1200I back fired twice really load. I then had nothing but electric lights on the dash and a headlight. I pushed the start switch and could hear a click, but the bike never tried to turn-over. I tried push-starting it, and nothing. I now have it on a trailer looking for the problem. I have been having problems with charging. I also experienced problems starting. Sometimes it would turn over smoothly, then other times it labored. Is this my stator that has gone bad? HELP !

Charge you battery and see what you have. Or try to jump start see if it will turn over?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:17 pm

If the bike was running fine and just quit all at once, I would first check your master (dogbone) fuse. What is the voltage of your battery when it is just sitting with the bike turned off?

Also check all the other fuses - measure voltage on both sides of each fuse.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”