Noise in 5th Gear

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Rotorcrazy
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

Noise in 5th Gear

Postby Rotorcrazy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:39 pm

Hey All,
If this is one of those subjects that has been beat to death, I apologize. I searched for every combination of words I could think of and came up with nutin'.

So here's the scoop. A couple months back I bought a non-running '86 Interstate. It had been sitting for over four years (yeah, the fuel system was a mess). long story short, I threw some elbow grease and carb cleaner at it and got it going. I took it out for the first ride and it did surprisingly well, until I put it into 5th gear. It started making a loud squeaking/chirping noise like a loose fan belt. When I put it back in 4th, all was well, no noise. Only in 5th.

SO, here's what Ive done so far: Checked the brakes, checked the differential, checked the driveline and u-joint - All perfect. I Pulled and disassembled the engine. I've checked every bearing in the transmission, with particular emphasis on the counter shaft and final drive - All smooth as silk. The ONLY thing I found that was wrong was spalling on about half of the teeth on the Main Shaft Fifth Gear (#26 in the parts breakdown). It's the only gear that shows any wear. The teeth on the mating gear are perfect and no metal in the bottom of the case.

I'm at a loss. If anyone out there has dealt with a similar issue, let me know, THANKS!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Noise in 5th Gear

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:02 pm

What about the shift fork? Is it bent or otherwise pushed up against something when fifth gear is engaged?

Rotorcrazy
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

Re: Noise in 5th Gear

Postby Rotorcrazy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:36 pm

I don't think so, at least nothing abnormal caught my eye. I'll take a good close look for any strange wear tonight. Thanks. I'm also going to try spinning the main shaft with a drill while going through the gears. Maybe I can hear something. Just can't spin it fast enough by hand.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”