87 GL 1200A Need help with a problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
alwims
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2008 GL1800

87 GL 1200A Need help with a problem

Postby alwims » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:24 am

I swear, bad luck just keeps following me. Riding, night before last after dark and my headlight went out. Could turn off ignition switch, turn it back on and the light would work until I hit a bump and it would go out again. Loose connection, right? Took headlight bezel off found what looked like a loose wire, fixed it and light worked. Went for a ride with the dogs, ran perfect. Later decided to go to the store, started perfect, idled good road out of the driveway good, got on the road twisted the throttle and it started missing like it was running on 2 cylinders, voltage meter jumping from 9.9 volts to 13.5 volts, dash panel flashing weird stuff.

Let off on throttle and it idled fine. Twist the throttle and same thing. Limped it back to my covered porch. Decided to work on it tomorrow. This morning is tomorrow so I figured I was looking for a loose connection somewhere so I started taking things off and can't find anything loose. Before I started to work on it, I started it and it ran perfect then after about a minute it started running on what sounded like 2 cylinders, dash started flashing, voltage went haywire. and this was at idle with the choke on about 1/2 way. I'm stumped. Anyone got any ideas. I'm also posting this on other forums for help or ideas.

wheeljam
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 interstate

Re: 87 GL 1200A Need help with a problem

Postby wheeljam » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:32 am

Has the dog bone fuse been replaced??

alwims
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:36 am

wheeljam wrote:Has the dog bone fuse been replaced??

Yes, but thanks. I need all suggestions. I'm stumped.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:00 pm

Check the easy stuff first. Remove the master (dogbone) fuse and check it - you need to actually remove it. Check the battery cables - both where they attach to the battery, and where they attach to the frame and solenoid. Check the cables themselves for wear or connector looseness.

Check your battery voltage when the bike is shut off, after it has sat for a good ten minutes.

Check your yellow stator wires, and the connector (if still installed).

From what you describe, it definitely sounds electrical.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:36 pm

Also don't discount the ignition switch.i have heard of the contacts burning and causing intermittent voltage loss.
Same for its connector that plugs into the harness.

alwims
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:35 pm

The loose connection was the plug that plugs into the headlight bulb. Ignition switch and starter button have been ruled out. Seems to be some kind of module. After I checked all the switches I started it up and it ran like a top for about 2 minutes. Then I ran it up to 2100 rpm and held it there and after about 1 minute it started cutting out and the dash acting wacky. Volts at the battery were a steady 13.5v, but the volt meter on the dash which is wired to the fuse box was reading any where from 6.5 to 10.3 volts. Then it started lightly back firing thru the exhaust. Shut it off, wait 5 minutes, start it up and it runs fine then after a bit same problems.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:17 pm

This really sounds like the behavior of a cracked dogbone fuse. Before hunting anything else down, have you physically removed the dogbone fuse to check it for cracks?

When the bike starts to die this way, put a voltmeter across the dogbone fuse terminals and see if you measure any voltage. If it's working correctly, you should see zero. If you see voltage, then something's up with the fuse.

alwims
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:38 pm

WingAdmin wrote:This really sounds like the behavior of a cracked dogbone fuse. Before hunting anything else down, have you physically removed the dogbone fuse to check it for cracks?

When the bike starts to die this way, put a voltmeter across the dogbone fuse terminals and see if you measure any voltage. If it's working correctly, you should see zero. If you see voltage, then something's up with the fuse.

we must not be talking about the same fuse. Are you talking about the flat fuse next to the right side of the battery on top of the starter solonoid? If so I pulled that fuse last year and wired a new style fuse in it's place. Itook the flat fuse out and put a heavy inline 30 amp fuse in its place. Wiring to the same terminals. At the same time I soldered the 3 yellow wires from the stator.

alwims
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:58 pm

I've got to admit, I've rebuild boat motors, car motors, etc. and am a pretty good wrench, but I'm getting older and may not be as good a I once was. I'll also admit, I never was very good with electrical stuff. That said, the guy that was helping me just left, thank God. He said he knew what he was doing and said he checked out my ignition switch and it checked ok. I kind of doubt that now. Here is what happened, I went out to try your suggestions WingAdmin and when I turned the ignition on, nothing happened, nothing, nada then about 5 seconds it turned on my dash, camera, etc. like it's supposed to do all by itself. Now I'm really suspect of the ignition switch but can't for the life of me figure out how to get it out to clean or check it. How do I remove it? I've got the plastic over off and the metal cover around it off and I'm stuck.

alwims
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:29 am

WingAdmin wrote:This really sounds like the behavior of a cracked dogbone fuse. Before hunting anything else down, have you physically removed the dogbone fuse to check it for cracks?

Dang you are a very smart man sir. I just wish I had listened to you sooner. Here is what I just posted on one of the other forums I frequent.
...........................................................................................................................
Some of you know my 1200 outrigger trike went foobar on me before we bought our 1800. It started doing all kinds of stupid things. Turn the key on and the dash would light up fine, start the engine and run perfect, and about 10 seconds later all hell would seem to break loose. The dash would flash all kinds of weird numbers, go off come back on, engine would act like it was running on one cylinder. Dangdest thing I ever saw. I was about ready to part it out, but I just couldn't do that to such a fine machine that's got a lot of life left in her.

I had every peace of plastic in a pile and unplugged and cleaned, dielectric greased every plugin I could find. Nothing seemed to make any difference so I started tearing out all the accessories I had added, nothing worked. This has been going off and on for the last 3 months working on it. I finally decided to look at the main 30 amp dog bone fuse I replaced with a regular modern 30 amp spade fuse and holder. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the rubber cap and the fuse fell out on the ground.

Plugged the fuse in properly and the bike runs like a new one. Fixed it so the fuse can't fall out again, put it all back together and went for a ride. Ran like a top. I guess the fuse was making contact enough to start the bike and then would vibrate to make intermittent contact. I hate electrical problems, especially stupid problems I bring on myself.

If Carol has her way the bike will be for sale in the spring or sooner if anyone is interested.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:05 am

Glad to hear you got it solved and working again!

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:01 pm

No,no, no .... don't sell it ! You've got it running !!!

LOL

Aside from a partially cracked dogbone , ( or in your case, a falling out fuse ) I once had a similar problem with a new blade fuse in the same spot .

Fuses should be all the same... but they are not ... slightly different metals in the blades , depending on country of origin , I guess.

Anyway , mine suddenly stopped...exactly like yours..... no lights, no horn , NADA ... and in the middle of an intersection, of course. I pushed it to the corner ( all 900 lbs of it ) and started the search . When I finally pulled the new master spade fuse out , one blade was all black, the other very clean .

The high DC current had caused what is called differential electro-deposition , probably started by different metals in blade and fuse socket .
The quick fix was to reverse the fuse and drive off.
T he proper fix was to get a brand new fuse, and replace the poor old corroded one .

So now my spring maintenance schedule is change the oil, add new gas , clean the windshield , etc, and ...LOL... pull the main fuse and peer at its legs, to see if they are both shiny .

It has not happened again in 7 years ... So I guess I got a "good" fuse this time.

SilverDave

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”