1984 Aspencade GL12000 starting issues

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
j.maclean
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

1984 Aspencade GL12000 starting issues

Postby j.maclean » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone out there had some input on this issue I just started having with my bike.

1st off I just picked the bike up a couple of months ago, the bike had sat until then for 2 summers. Upon purchasing the bike I charged the battery and after a few minutes of cranking it over I got it up and running, from there drove it about 10 miles to my friends garage and when arriving changed the oil (which was pretty clean considering), plugs, and driveshaft fluid. Since then I have been driving the bike with minimal problems, other then a puff of blue smoke every now and then,

Last Friday me and my wife took the day off and headed out on the bike, we left early in the morning and by afternoon it was very hot outside (roughly 33 Celcius). On the highway at 60mph, the temperature gauge (digital) was 1 bar away from the very top of the temp gauge, next bar would have been overheating zone, but it did not reach that at any point during the ride. When stopping for breaks I would hear the fan kicking in when I would turn the key on, so the fan appears to be working. We were on the bike roughly 5 hrs and made it back home, again having no trouble with the bike.

2 days later I try to start it (bike is always stored inside) with the choke on and the bike would not catch, so I tried again with the choke on only this time cranking the gas, the bike eventually caught but I would have to keep the throttle pretty much maxed out and hold in the start button at the same time. After playing this game for about 10 mins the bike eventually stayed running with out holding the gas and start button and choke off but it was running really rough, I would give it gas and it would eventually smooth out but it backfired a couple of times (once really loud blowing out a big puff of smoke at the same time) and when revving it up you can tell by the response and sound that the power is not there.

I took the chance and drove it back out to my buddy's garage again today, he will hopefully have a look at it tomorrow. When driving it out the bike seemed to idle ok, it didn't stall at all but was lacking power especially noticeable when pulling away.

fyi: Again bike was sitting for some time (2 summers)
It could use a new battery
Bike has 130,000 kms
I know the head gasket has been replaced within the last few yrs
I have been running sea foam in the gas faithfully since getting it,

Any info anyone could provide is greatly appreciated, I love the bike, I don't mind spending a few dollars on it to hang onto it.

Thanks Everyone!!!
Jason

leanjoe
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100a Aspencade

Re: 1984 Aspencade GL12000 starting issues

Postby leanjoe » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:44 am

What I have heard about seafoam is that over time it will dislodge any particles and crud in the carb fuel circuits,and fuel tank. I would change out the fuel filter again . It runs worse before it gets better.My 82 sat for awhile also,first thing I do with new(old) bikes is pull the carbs and clean em out.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:59 am

You need a new battery. That battery sat for two years, and then was subjected to lots of heat. Here's why:

I would have to keep the throttle pretty much maxed out and hold in the start button at the same time

When you press the start button, the bike gives an extra boost to the ignition coils, to make sure there is sufficient spark while the starter motor is running (which draws a lot of current). When you let go of the start button, it's assumed the bike is running, so that the stator is taking over the job of powering the bike. If there is insufficient power, the bike won't start, or, if it does start, it will run poorly, occasionally backfiring (because a plug will occasionally not spark, so unburned fuel/air mixture is being blown into the exhaust, where it is ignited by the hot gases from another cylinder, and making a loud noise).

You revved it up, so the stator was making lots of power, but the power it was making was being eaten up by the battery, leaving not enough to run the bike. Eventually the battery accepted enough of a charge that the bike started smoothing out a bit and was rideable - but not well.

So replace the battery, and I think your problems should go away. Hopefully you haven't cooked your starter motor by holding the starter button down for so long - it really shouldn't be run for more than ten seconds at most, and even then should be given time afterward to cool off before being used again.

j.maclean

Postby j.maclean » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:59 pm

I was also thinking that the battery was the culprit...I don't think I burned out the starter motor I wasn't cranking it over too too long for fear of doing that. Thanks for the advise everyone!

j.maclean

Postby j.maclean » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:54 pm

I am going to pick up a new battery this weekend I'll let you all know how I get along.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:28 am

So were you out riding all weekend then? Success?

j.maclean

Postby j.maclean » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:54 am

I have the new battery on the charger now and I am going to give it a shot after work. It was really hot here this weekend so me and the family went on a little camping trip so I didn't have a chance to look at the bike this weekend. I will have the new battery in this evening I'll post how I get along with her. Thanks!

j.maclean

Postby j.maclean » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:22 pm

I had it out this evening and it seems to be working a lot better!! Couple of questions though..

1) When idling for example in town on a warm day. How high should the temperature gauge read on the digital gauge? When I was out this evening it was still quite warm out even though the sun was down and the gauge was 2 bars away from the red zone, when I shut the bike down I turned the key to the on position and the fan came on so it appears to be working.

2) When pressing the brake lever both on the handle bar and foot brake, my headlights and dash lights dim slightly. I was hoping the new battery would solve this.

3) When the bike was good and hot I shut it off then about a minute later started it, but the starter seemed slow to turn for 2 cranks then the bike started.

4) When starting the bike both cold and warm it seems, I have to crank the gas a bit while it is turning over for it to catch.

Other then these few small issues the bike seems to work really well. Thanks again for your information, I am sure you saved hours of pulling god knows apart trying to find the problem.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:14 am

1. I can't say how high the temperature gauge should read - another 1200 owner will have to answer that.

2. This is normal. The brake lights draw quite a bit of power (close to 60 watts), and on a bike whose electrical system is barely good for 300, 60 is a considerable load. You can fix it by putting LED brake light bulbs in, or just live with it.

3. This can be from a dirty starter or one that needs brushes. It can also be caused by other electrical problems as well. Is it only happening when very hot?

4. This can be from unbalanced or dirty carbs, or a multitude of other problems. Run some Seafoam through it and see if it makes any difference.

tricky

Postby tricky » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:39 pm

Handbook states "normal is between 2 & 8 bars

I was riding in 85deg at 55mph and reading 5 bars, running around town will bring the temp up and the fan will cycle, sounds normal to me.

Normal for the lights to dim when the brake are applied.

I use an Odyssey battery and dont notice a problem starting when hot.

When cold manual states to use the choke.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”