cruise, lights, and suspension/tires

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
koyote
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing SE-I
1994 Intruder 800
1987 Honda Helix (wife)

cruise, lights, and suspension/tires

Postby koyote » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:08 am

So, I've spent a week riding around getting used to this wonderful 1986 SEI. What an introduction to the goldwing world!

After a bit of switch cleaning (hazard button is still a bit sticky) I've got all the bar controls pretty smooth. The cruise control seemed to have a bit of random "won't turn on" but I've realized that appears to be a cold temp thing. Is it normal for the cruise ot not turn on until the engine temp reads 3 bars? (that's where mine sits at once warmed up)

Speaking of which, my oil temp seems to sit about 2/3 of the way up.... I'll get a photo and make sure this is a normal range. I know it isn't in a danger zone, but early warnings can be subtle. I am using the rotella 15-40. Our neverending summer this year still hame riding in the mid 80s in october.

The headlight isn't awful, but I live in a rural section a bit east of Fallon, Nevada and there are occasional problems with deer locally, plus all the random rural road issues everywhere around me. I'd like a bit better light. As far as I know, the light is stock and hasn't been replaced with a silverstar or anything. What's the best route to go on this? just put a brighter bulb in and add some driving lights? or is a 35 watt HID kit a better option?

All 3 mechanics I have talked to and asked about it say to inflate modern tires a bit higher, closer to the sidewall max, instead of the listed pressures. What's the deal with that? Tires are my primary point of minor nervousness when riding, I am a bit obsessive about pressures. And since I'm going to have to get tires fairly soon.... I've read a bit about slightly different sizes and makes. Searching hasn't given me a ton of information, so I'll ask what anyone uses here.

MY suspension seems fine, although as a new winger I'm not completely sure. I have a local retired mechanic who owned 4 wings before he inherited "harley money" (and built a personal shop with 2 lifts and so on. Great guy, been riding since forever, been wrenching since the early 80s. I haven't asked him the tire pressure question yet). He is pretty excited about my purchase. HE says he used to road test progressive springs on his gl1100 and highly recommends them as an upgrade to do whenever we have the wheels off for doing tires.

At 16,000 miles, I don't think my suspension is showing any signs of wear or age, but.... is the upgrade worth it?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: cruise, lights, and suspension/tires

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:14 pm

Lots of questions. The cruise should engage regardless of temperature, so you may still have something going on there.

Lights...you really cannot go wrong with a 35 watt HID. The GoldwingHIDs Single Bulb kit for the GL1000/1100/1200 is fantastic. I put the same kit into my wife's PC800, and the dual bulb kit in my GL1500. There is nothing comparable at that price that puts out anywhere near the same amount of light. LEDs are getting there, but for massive output, HID is still king of the hill. And it will save you some power in the process!

If your suspension is original, then it's guaranteed the springs are old and sagging. I said the same thing about my GL1100 - I thought it was fine the way it was. However, when I did finally put a pair of Progressive 416's on back and fork springs in front, the difference was huge. The bike sat up at least an inch taller (no more sagging, worn out springs) and the handling was substantially improved, particularly over bumps.

koyote
1994 Intruder 800
1987 Honda Helix (wife)

Postby koyote » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:31 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Lots of questions. The cruise should engage regardless of temperature, so you may still have something going on there.

Lights...you really cannot go wrong with a 35 watt HID. The GoldwingHIDs Single Bulb kit for the GL1000/1100/1200 is fantastic. I put the same kit into my wife's PC800, and the dual bulb kit in my GL1500. There is nothing comparable at that price that puts out anywhere near the same amount of light. LEDs are getting there, but for massive output, HID is still king of the hill. And it will save you some power in the process!

If your suspension is original, then it's guaranteed the springs are old and sagging. I said the same thing about my GL1100 - I thought it was fine the way it was. However, when I did finally put a pair of Progressive 416's on back and fork springs in front, the difference was huge. The bike sat up at least an inch taller (no more sagging, worn out springs) and the handling was substantially improved, particularly over bumps.

I will have to look into the cruise. I have no idea where to even start. It could be as simple as the lube I used for the switch. Thinking about it, that's most likely. I did a pretty "quick and dirty" job on the controls.

Suspension sounds like something I will be doing, then. My forks are a bit weathered looking anyway, tempting to powdercoat them.

The HID kit looks pretty good. Interesting, I might be able to fit this in the 1987 helix my wife is riding. That would be a bonus!

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:34 pm

Please dont use the tire pressures that are in the manual, they are for tires suited to the bike, on year of manufacturer and are not suitable to the tires of today. If I may give an instance, Avons recommend 36psi front and 40 psi rear minimum.

Most tire manufactures, now have recommended pressures on their web sites, check there. and because you have an on board compressor, its a breeze to check them cold, and keep them right.

Congratulations on your ride.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:57 am

I recently installed an HID kit like this :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/35W-12000K-HID-M ... WI&vxp=mtr

from china .. Its just great ... Don't use LED's unless you change the lens... the flutes on the lens don't allow LED's to focus ..

Progressives ? Yes ( from other 1200 owning friends ) but I got a tremendous improvement from just draining and adding fresh shock oil which is much cheaper .
Pressure ?? depends on the tire ... but certainly above 40 psi ( not the 32 as recommended in the 30 yo manual) .

Old ( 30 year ? ) switches are a real pain .. start by cleaning it again with good quality contact cleaner

Temperature ? by the rt side of those bars is a thicker stripe ... The temp should be in that temp range ( 4 to 7 bars ? ) and on mine it rides right about the middle . Fan should come on at 8 bars .
----------------------------------

Since its a 1200.. be sure to check if the PO replaced the yucky yellow stator plug with hard solder/shrink wrapped connectors

SilverDave

koyote
1994 Intruder 800
1987 Honda Helix (wife)

Postby koyote » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:44 pm

fortunately, the stator was done right, PO and I talked about it and he showed me how he had done it. nice job :mrgreen:

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”