1986 GL1200I advice

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
thompsoj22
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200I

1986 GL1200I advice

Postby thompsoj22 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:54 am

Just a few questions for those that have "been there done that".
1st- just got one of the $18.00 shipping inc. voltage reg/rect off ebay. are they worth a try or known to be junk?.
2nd- ill be doing fiber plates and checking the scavenge pump pickup area for blockage soon, im looking for a complete gasket set for the engine. Any advice on a good one to choose?.
3rd- will the 1500 fork slider/guide bushings work in the 1200 forks I have the seal kit but am having trouble sourcing the bushings?
4th- is there any reason to suspect any driveline components at 77.000 miles? is the "u" joint serviceable?. the manual simply points at it and says "grease"?
5th- are there supposed to be small running lts to the left and right of the headlight assy, I see something there but haven't pulled the mirrors and headlight to find out? if they are there they are burned out.

This bike is new to me and I am loyal to my 01 HDWG but love this "jap bike" so much that im going to keep it and tour with it. I cant imagine how these bikes must have felt off the showroom floor!

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: 1986 GL1200I advice

Postby wingman12 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:39 am

Welcome Thompson to a new adventure into the pleasures of Japanese touring bikes. Once you get it fixed up it will feel just like it came off the showroom floor brand new.
my first question is: is the engine blown or are you just enjoying tearing it apart to see how it ticks? with only 77,000 there should be no issue with the engine, they are build to
last many 100,000 of miles. If it has been setting for a long time there are a few must do items before any hard riding, replace the timing belts first and foremost. Most important on the belts. Age causes them to break without warning and you could completely destroy the engine.
Add 1/2 can (8 ounces) of sea foam to your oil and run for about 100 miles (not hard) then change oil and filter. You will be surprised at how much gunk you get out of it.
You can try Bike Bandit for your fork bushings, if you are rebuilding the forks, go with the progressive shocks you will get a much better ride and it will handle much better in the twistys.
I am not sure of the universal joints have a grease fitting, I am pretty sure the answer is NO. I am going to guess the manual means to grease with "moly 60" this needs to also be used on your final drive for your rear tire. There are many how- to - do articles for your 1200.
Bulbs are probably burned out, they only last a couple to years and have to be replaced. Check the how to do articles at the top of this form for head light bulb installation, not difficult to replace just a little time. I do not believe you have to remove the mirrors however.
Again welcome and please keep us posted, many others will jump in with additional advise that probably actually owns a 86I. Ride often and ride safe. :D :D

thompsoj22
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200I

Postby thompsoj22 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks for the reply, I know it was a long winded thread of questions. The bike runs great! I just have a hard time not tinkering with it. I bought it from a friend who rode it weekly so very little "storage" time. I checked the timing belts and they looked to be in good condition, changed the coolant which I was worried about doing based upon it possibly being the OE. To many times I have changed coolant only to have leaks from pump seals/freeze plugs but so far so good. Ill try to follow your tip on "leave it alone" and just do solid maint when required. Ill also remember it's not HD! Thanks again

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:36 pm

thompsoj22 wrote:Thanks for the reply, I know it was a long winded thread of questions. The bike runs great! I just have a hard time not tinkering with it. I bought it from a friend who rode it weekly so very little "storage" time. I checked the timing belts and they looked to be in good condition, changed the coolant which I was worried about doing based upon it possibly being the OE. To many times I have changed coolant only to have leaks from pump seals/freeze plugs but so far so good. Ill try to follow your tip on "leave it alone" and just do solid maint when required. Ill also remember it's not HD! Thanks again

Serpentine drive belts start to crack as they stretch and age. Timing belts, with their special fibers inside, don't stretch, so they don't crack - so a timing belt that is 20 years old with 80,000 miles on it can look virtually identical to one that was put on six months ago and has 500 miles on it. Honda's service schedule says to "inspect" the timing belt - but there is no practicable way of doing this, other than looking for broken teeth on the belt itself. A timing belt wears on the inside, where you can't see it. A timing belt that is about to break can look exactly like one that will run for another 50,000 miles.

So what to do? Simple - if you don't know how long the belt has been on your bike, or how many miles are on it, it's time to change it - now, before you start the engine again. Spending $80 and an afternoon replacing your timing belts is cheap insurance, and a great alternative to spending weeks and thousands of dollars on a new engine.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”