Starter Question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Starter Question

Postby sportsfreaked » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:43 pm

I think I am on the right track here but would like the experts thoughts on this. On my 1200 LTD when I first start it turns over and starts like it should. After riding when it's warm and I shut it off and go to restart the bike the volts drop all the way down to like 6 or 7 and it does the urn urn urn (technical term) real slow and then after a bit it will start. The voltage gauge is reading 14.3 while I am riding and so the battery is charging. I have checked the battery when getting home to make sure and it's at 100% so I don't believe it to be a battery problem. I think the starter is getting hot and thus causing this. I am assuming a new starter or a rebuild would be in my future. Am I thinking correctly on this. Thanks! Ed

Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: Starter Question

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Sounds like the starter either needs a rebuild/clean out, or you need to clean the ground connections for your bike. That solved similar issues on my GL1100 :)

dhg
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby dhg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:34 pm

Hi Ed, my '86 seems to have the same problem as yours. After riding for awhile and say stop for gas, it is very slow on the 1st/2nd turn over but does start. I've checked that my stator is working and charging the battery like it's suppose to.

Were you able to solve your hot starting problem, and if so what did you do?

Thanks,

Rich

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:49 pm

I had the same issue in that the starter was turning over slower than I would have liked. It also got to a point where the starter would turn and the bike sounded like the bendix was not engaging (similar to a car sound when the bendix just spins but does not engage).

I looked into the makeup of the starter and since it does not have a bendix, I was directed to the sprague clutch. I have done one flush of the oil system, but intend to do more to try and rectify this situation completely.

I replaced my starter and it spins over quite well. Have kept the old one and intend to rebuild it.

If you are going to remove and replace/rebuild the starter, you will have to drop the exhaust, remove the engine guards and take out the exhaust bolt closest to the starter. Tried taking it out without doing this and not a hope. I would recommend replacing the exhaust gaskets, studs and bolts when/if you do this.

Good luck.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

sportsfreaked

Postby sportsfreaked » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:09 pm

I'm going to be tackling the starter issue this coming week. I am positive that once it is cleaned up and rebuilt the problem will be solved. I will of course post back what I come up with but this seems to be a common problem with the 1200's for some reason.
Ed

dhg

Postby dhg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks Rednaxs, my starter does engage from the start and before I change the oil I'll put in some Seafoam to try and clean some of the gunk out. I also haven't ruled out the battery yet, it seems to hold a charge but might not have the power it used to. it's 3 years old and the PO bought it from walmart the day I bought the bike. I will admit that I haven't been the best at checking the water levels in it. it has been known to be down quite a bit.

I've read about pulling the starter and am not looking forward to it if it proves to be bad.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

dhg

Postby dhg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:23 pm

Ed, where did you get the rebuild kit from?

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:24 pm

dhg wrote:Thanks Rednaxs, my starter does engage from the start and before I change the oil I'll put in some Seafoam to try and clean some of the gunk out. I also haven't ruled out the battery yet, it seems to hold a charge but might not have the power it used to. it's 3 years old and the PO bought it from walmart the day I bought the bike. I will admit that I haven't been the best at checking the water levels in it. it has been known to be down quite a bit.

I've read about pulling the starter and am not looking forward to it if it proves to be bad.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

There's information in this forum regarding taking the starter out of non-LTD models. Check these posts out because you may be able to wiggle the starter around and remove it without doing what I had to. If not, just takes a bit more time. Good luck!
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

sportsfreaked

Postby sportsfreaked » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:03 pm

I am getting my rebuild kit thru Ebay.

Ed

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”