chargimg problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
SISICHKA
Motorcycle: 1986 GL 1200 A Aspencade

chargimg problem

Postby SISICHKA » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:05 am

Hello, I'm from Russia, I have a problem with charging the battery on a motorcycle GL 1200 ASPENCADE 1986. I changed the rectifier \regulator but all in vain. Help me please! Thank you in advance. PS And is there someone else at the service manual for my motorcycle? Thank you all, Ilya.

tricky

Re: chargimg problem

Postby tricky » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:03 am

Alternator Stator Inspection

Remove the left side battery cover.
Disconnect the alternator and regulator/rectifier coupler. It is the plug with 3 yellow wires

On the leads that come from the alternator at the back of the engine, check for continuity between the leads, and between the leads and ground.

Replace the stator if there is no continuity between the leads, or if there is continuity between the leads and
ground.

With the plug disconnected,
Put the probes on each of the yellow wires, to make it easy label them A,B and C. connect the meter to each pair of wires. A+B, B+C and C+A. run the engine to 3000RPM you want to see 50Volts AC. If it is less then your looking for a new stator or an external alternator.

If everything is OK then remove the plug and solder the wires and use heat shrink insulation.

SISICHKA
Motorcycle: 1986 GL 1200 A Aspencade

Postby SISICHKA » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:25 pm

Thank you very much, I'll try again later. I was very worried! Just can not sleep!

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:31 pm

The alternator burnout is the main complaint on the 1200 series. There is an external alternator setup which we use, you can find more about it at this web site http://www.gl1200goldwings.com

I dont wish to steer anyone away from this site but all the questions and answers are already there.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”