Center stand broken?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
manofallseasons
Motorcycle: 1987 Aspencade

Center stand broken?

Postby manofallseasons » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:16 pm

I put my cycle in my garage yesterday and like to put it up on the center stand. When I did so, it felt odd when it hopped into position. As I look at the stand, it appears funny but I can't remember what it should look like. When I try to 'hop' the cycle down again, it will now only slide forward like the center stand is locked into position. I'm guessing that if this broke, I might not be riding for a long time unless I can find someone with a jack. Any ideas? Dean
Attachments

Get out and enjoy nature!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Center stand broken?

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:09 pm

It's rotated too far forward, and this is usually caused by corrosion on the cross piece that goes between the two frame rails, or corrosion on the mounting points. It can be fixed, but you'll have to cut out the old, corroded parts and weld in replacements.

You should also check for frame corrosion in other areas, being that you've got it on your center stand.

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:09 pm

Any idea how to get the stand down again so I can move the cycle?

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby rzaugg » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 pm

Actually (by the picture) looks kind of normal to me. I have the same issue on my smooth garage floor. If you have a helper, lifting up on the trunk rack and pushing forward usually works if I can't get it myself. I put my left foot it front of it and push at the same time. It's not easy, but helps that I am tall. If you have a helper, have them put their foot in front of the center stand and hold bike vertical while you push. Have used this method because my knees aren't what they used to be. It's her bike anyway, so she can help some.

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:12 pm

Thanks! I'll give that a try! Never had it stuck like this before! I live in the boondocks so help isn't readily available but I'll see what I can do. :D

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:31 pm

rzaugg wrote:Actually (by the picture) looks kind of normal to me. I have the same issue on my smooth garage floor. If you have a helper, lifting up on the trunk rack and pushing forward usually works if I can't get it myself. I put my left foot it front of it and push at the same time. It's not easy, but helps that I am tall. If you have a helper, have them put their foot in front of the center stand and hold bike vertical while you push. Have used this method because my knees aren't what they used to be. It's her bike anyway, so she can help some.

Yeh I think it looks normal, it may need a bit of oiling to loosen things up under there. I use a spray can of vistolene, and it keeps things pretty good under there.

I have the same trouble on shiny concrete, as the bike tends to slip forward a bit sometimes on it, I find rocking backwards, before pushing forward helps a lot.

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Didn't have a chance to try it yet, but plan to as soon as time allows! Thanks! Dean

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:47 pm

I used to have that issue due to a damaged knee. I went and found a cheap, used 4' X 8' throw rug and put it on the garage floor and then park the bike on it. It doesn't allow the center stand to slide on concrete. Just a thought for consideration. Take care.

CR

Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”