Can't get the Front wheel off

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
tbeiler
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo

Can't get the Front wheel off

Postby tbeiler » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Guys / Gals
I am removing my front wheel to get new tire installed on an 86 Aspencade. I've never done this before on the Aspy so I'm learning as I go.
Got the calipers off no problem and hung them up out of the way.
I also have these hideous disc covers with some lights around the circumference and it was this disc cover that was almost obscuring the single screw to get the speed sensor off. Anyway its off now after checking the Haynes manual and when laying down on the garage floor looking past the small opening on the disc cover. The Honda service manual isn't very explicit, it just says remove the speed sensor. Anyway, that part is done now.
Pulled off the axle holders, jacked up the bike, but do you think that I could get the wheel off. It seems hung up on the left side (when sitting on bIke), the right side is ready to drop out. I don't want to force anything so came to the forum to ask for help.
I loosened the axle nut slighlty but it didn't make a difference (there is clearance between axle nut and fork leg, so its not holding up there).
I'm sure it has something to do with those crazy disc covers, I can't really see how they are attached. They are made of steel, checked by magnet.
Anyway stumped for now. Any ideas?
Cannot figure out how to get a picture on here. If you pm me I can send an email to any helpers out there. Thanks.

skier
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 124k
2009 Honda Silverwing 14k -- the wife's scooter

Re: Can't get the Front wheel off

Postby skier » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:41 pm

Have you removed the axle nut and slid the axle out?

tbeiler
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo

Postby tbeiler » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Unless I am missing something, doesn't the wheel assembly come off once the axle holders are are off even with the axle nut still in place.
So, skier, answer is no, I have not yet tried to remove the the axle nut and slide out the axle.
Looks like that would be the next logical step, though,
Any special trick to getting this out, or is it a simple matter of removing axle nut and then driving out towards right side.

tbeiler
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo

Postby tbeiler » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Hey skier, looks like that bass in your profile picture could put up one heck of a fight.

tbeiler
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo

Postby tbeiler » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:32 pm

Well guys, after a lot of questions, I finally got this figured out,
I screwed out the axle nut, once free of threads, the axle itself came right out no issues, the steel disc covers I talked about earlier were pretty thick (at least 1-1.5 mm thickness each) and I had to use a fair bit of muscle to get the wheel and those darn disc covers out of the forks. Finally got it off, removed the rotors and the the speedo drive unit, and I couldn't believe that the plastic gear was completely worn down, its no wonder the speedo, the odometer, and my turn signal canceller were'nt working.
So next step new tire and replacement plastic gear.
Anyone know where plastic gears are available? Does anyone make steel gear?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:48 am

You'll likely be looking to eBay for replacements. The gear is plastic for a reason: it is the sacrificial gear should something happen up further (i.e. cable binding). Instead of trashing the wheel, hub, or other expensive parts, instead it just shears off the plastic gear teeth.

Here's a quick primer on adding pictures to your messages, BTW: Adding pictures to your messages

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”