length of brg. spacer in front wheel 86 gl1200a

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

length of brg. spacer in front wheel 86 gl1200a

Postby geraldm » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:17 am

wondering if anyone knows the length of the brg. spacer for the front wheel on the 86 goldwing GL1200a .. Brgs. seemed tight and hard to turn after removing the wheel from the bike and just wondering if maybe the spacer may be a few thou short causing side draft on the rollers and making them roll hard . brgs were like new inside nice clean grease but a little lumpy to turn , no rust , axel was tight as well as the axel caps .thanks-you Geraldm.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: length of brg. spacer in front wheel 86 gl1200a

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:16 am

The spacer is sized so that when the bearings are fully seated, it is just barely touching the inner races. If the spacer is rusted, there is dirt between it and the bearings, or the bearings were aftermarket and the inner race was not quite to spec, you can end up with side load on the bearings, which will bind them up and wear them out quickly.

Are you saying that you replaced the bearings, and they are now lumpy to turn? Or the bearings that were already in there are lumpy?

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Re: length of brg. spacer in front wheel 86 gl1200a

Postby geraldm » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:39 am

The brgs that were in there. I only owned for 1 season but they look like replaced not many miles ago. I ran about 18'000 miles this summer and the front end just seems a bit off so decided to go through it and do all brgs including neck. Actually after removing front wheel I did what seems natural.. stuck my finger in the brg. Race and could not turn without the help of a screw driver?? It just seems like the brgs had a bit of side draft on them. Took a small drift and after a few taps on the brg. It started to turn more freely.. once removed they turn like down town that is the reason I ask about spacer. Very possible the brgs are no one and neither are the ones I bought from pivot works. I guess I will just get out the calipers and do some checking for width with the ones removed and see if there is a few thousand difference in widths.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”