Filling and checking fork oil

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Filling and checking fork oil

Postby geraldm » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:31 pm

After totally rebuilding my front end on the 86 gl1200A I decided to not be guessing at the oil level in the tubes so this is what I did .
I used 1/8 npt brass plug because that is just what I had . When I get a chance I will get 2 stainless plugs so they don't look out of place . and not clash with the new chrome ignition cover on order .
I used 1/8 npt brass plug because that is just what I had . When I get a chance I will get 2 stainless plugs so they don't look out of place . and not clash with the new chrome ignition cover on order .
(after removing the tube cap) I just started the pilot hole with a small bit , second step goes to 21/64 then tap out with a 1/8 NPT. tap . using a cutting oil ,, the cap is soft and easy to drill and tap with simple tools .
After I just took a nice 30 inch 3/16 rod and after filling the tubes with the proper amount of oil and reinstalling the caps on the tubes . I inserted the rod into the hole in the top of the cap that I just made until it was into the oil 3 inches and put a mark on the rod even with the top of the cap and also where the oil mark is , removed from tube and welded a small washer to the rod where the mark was . I also put a low mark 1.5 inches below the full mark so there is no guessing on the amount of oil in the tubes .( I dont think being 1.5 inches low will affect the function of the forks ) . Put a loop in the top of the rod and hang it on the wall ready for checking fork oil height when ever you service your bike . No I don't usually but chrome add-ons but there was a chunk broke out of the original plastic one so figured what the hay. The handle bar clamps by the way have a small dot right next to the bolt heads .. the dot goes to the front of the bike . same as the axle caps have a arrow pointing to front if you look close at the side of the axle caps you will see that the are actually made on a taper ( one of my axle caps was on proper the other was on in reverse and I am sure that would change the angel of the axle shaft slightly from one side to the other possibly magnifying the possibility of front wheel wobble ) , same as the small bracket going from brake caliper to anti dive mechanism is off set and has a arrow pointing UP on them . when replacing brake pads push the bolt sleeves out clean and relube between the o rings before reinstalling. I betting most remove caliper change pads and reinstall without cleaning or lubing anything , making for poor braking action just be careful with the fragile rubber seals on the calipers if they are poor replace them .
There are lots of people complaining about pulsing brakes and of course the front wheel wobble and am sure things like I have mentioned can increase these problems . Some of these things might not seem to matter but I assure you when the Japanese engineer something everything they do is for a reason weather it seems important or not . Have a good one Geraldm

Arti
Motorcycle: gl1200

Re: Filling and checking fork oil

Postby Arti » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:03 pm

Good howto on the plugs. Checking/changing fork oil is never fun on a Wing.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”