leds in instrument panel

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Kirker
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda GL1200 Interstate

leds in instrument panel

Postby Kirker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi, has anyone installed LEDs in the instrument panel? I have 1985 gl1200 interstate. The dash is kinda hard to see at night. Not sure of the part number.Thanks for any info i can get....Kirker

bodasefus
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Re: leds in instrument panel

Postby bodasefus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:03 pm

I have not changed my GL1500 yet but to relate to a Yamaha Venture Royale that I converted... The first thing I would change is the turn signal relay and make it a solid state one that supports LEDs... then you should be good to go... I am going to do a LED headlight when I do the change over...
Good luck
Bodasefus

Don't take life to seriously,,,
No one gets out alive

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:22 am

Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:12 pm

Bodasefus,
I would like to know how your headlight conversion to a pair of LED headlights goes. Thanks in anticipation.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Kirker

Postby Kirker » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:29 pm

Hello. Thank you for the info about the leds lights. I couldn't find the part number for the bulbs in the instrument panel. So i bought a digital caliper and looked on superbrightleds.com. They have the size of each bulb. Matched it up with my old ones and order blue 74 LED bulbs Miniature Wedge base with 10 lm. They have a 120 degree viewing angle. Installed in the four corners and one in the High/low for the head light. Now just have to wait until our snow is gone to test ride her. I left the rest of them stock for now. thanks again for the help. Kirker

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:26 pm

Bodasefus :

I am by no means an expert on headlights .... so beforeI converted my GL1200 spy headlight, I talked extensively to a HID / LED dealer just up the Fraser Valley from me. He supplies LED and HID conversion kits, mostly for cars... but seemed knowledgeable about headlights .

If you install the non point source LED's with the " Fluted" headlight glass that we both have on our Wings .. the LED's will seem very bright ... but sadly won't punch the light very far down the road ( Because of the scattering caused by the " Flutes" in the glass.

but...
If you use a HID conversion, you have to install both the headlamp bulb, and a High Voltage exciter box .. and space is tight inside the fairing.
however:
the converted HID bulb is a " Point source" , even with my hi/lo beam and works just like the point source old incandesant bulbs.

I am quite happy with my 5500 k , 35 watt HID... its super bright... and punches a long way down the road.... and draws less current .
( I was super UNHAPPY with carving a 1" by3" hole with my dremel in the fairing !!)

LOL

My two cents .

SilverDave

Kirker

Postby Kirker » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Bodasefus... i did not put in headlight leds... these are in my dash instrument panel. I have stock bulb in my headlight. I put some running light on my crash bars from Rigid industries led lighting SR-M2 Driving ...these are awesome... sorry if you misunderstood what I was doing...Kirker

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”