type of oil

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
loopy
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 interstate

type of oil

Postby loopy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Hello all,
I am about to purchase some MMO and try and free up my lifters.

Question: I am sick of paying thru the nose for oil from Honda bike shop.

What grade of oil can I buy to suit my 84 1200 interstate ( 150,000 miles ) from a speed shop.?

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Re: type of oil

Postby geraldm » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:20 pm

IMO high priced oil is just that high priced oil and very little more .. Some good quality 10-40 SAE with some seafoam .. If your lifters are actually sticking The only additive I have found that effectively does what it claims .) the seafoam should actually free them up .. What I did find with my 86A was that it had an almost diesel rattle to it traced it down to the carbs not being in cync , after building my manometer and adjusting for what seemed like for ever , I finally got the carbs set and the rattle gradually went away at the same time ( high compression engine ,, these guys run something like , my book says 175 lbs. new . It did sound like lifters but not so. Something to think about Geraldm

loopy

Postby loopy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:41 am

Definitely is lifters as it come in very loud and only perhaps lasts for 30 seconds then drifts away. I gave it a good oil change with new filter then rode for 1000 km then changed again. TRhen travelled 3000 km on a ride and it was great.
My bike had been sitting in the shed for about 8 weeks without a ride and when I went out yesterday, very rough running with loud rattle coming in and out. Played with spark plug leads to see if I could isolate which cylinder but as I took off each lead the bike reacted in a negative way.

I have some "Seafoam -how much do you put in the crankcase.

Jeff
Adelaide
South Australia

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:34 am

I went to a Honda dealer to try some Honda oil earlier this year, to be told 'we do not stock Honda oil, it is too expensive, try a Honda bike dealer' I did and was told the same thing, shelves full of Motul, and no Honda oil LOL.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

geraldm

Postby geraldm » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:17 am

I put about 150 ML in mine you could use the whole 355 ml can too if you like with no side effects .I don't use it all the time just off and on when the mood strikes /.It's the petroleum distillates in the sea-foam that does the job but sorry there are a few of them and cant remember all the names . Lifters on most vehicles can and do wear out however it seems that it is more of a problem to get the carbon deposits out from inside the lifters ,, couldn't hurt to check that the spring and washer in the oil filter housing is in the proper place to make the filter work to its capacity .,, ( spring first , flat washer , filter ) if not correct the filter will not do it's job , As a result you would have oil that has not been filtered and could make for dirty sticky lifters .. I'm sure you know this ,, It's just a thought to check out .. I also came across a thread a bit ago that claims there is a oil passage that can clog up somewhere in the head area I believe causing lifters to rattle off and on because of lack of oil to them the sea foam may also help this ( it really is the only additive that I have found that really seems to do something ) If it works it's a cheap fix if not you will at the very least have a nice clean engine .. Have a good one .. Geraldm

loopy

Postby loopy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Thank you so much for all that. Silly thing I know but just checking that I put sea foam in the oil for lifters and not fuel

geraldm

Postby geraldm » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:21 pm

That's right in the oil and don't expect it to work overnight give it a little time . Ride it as usual. If you haven't been using it in the gas put a tad there , an Ounce or so also every 3 or4 tanks I don't measure I just pour a little in it's really not important the exact amount , but I do know that lots doesn't work better just be consistent .. Not to steal from anyone seems to me (Ed z ) made the remark about the oil passage possibly being plugged up on another thread about much the same issues .. If it makes any difference at all you should notice something in 2-300 miles ?? so IMO buy reasonably priced 10-40 sae oil ( quit buying that big money stuff ) same with oil filters ( I but mine on line 4 at a time just because it's easy to shop that way ).get a middle of the road product that is readily available from your favorite business , change oil regularly and always change the filter with. possibly you might get a bit better mileage ( if that's possible on these old buggers ) If nothing else clean fresh oil helps keep the compression up .. Just because some manufactures tell you to change oil every say 5000 miles just for a number doesn't mean you have to wait that long change it when the urge hits . When buddy comments gee that old wing sure runs nice , it makes it all worth while .. :) Might not help at all but I have a feeling you might get a chance to be reborn and turn into one of those Seafoam preachers :lol: . Hope all this blithering on helps a bit . Geraldm .

loopy

Postby loopy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:35 am

I take it you add sea foam at oil change and make alliwance for the volume of sea foam.
If I add a complete can initially would I need to remove some oil from crank if adding between oil changes

geraldm

Postby geraldm » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:54 am

Yea you don't want to run over full a little over won't hurt but just make adjustments of volume so long as your close it should be fine.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”