Kickstand Kill Switch for '85 GL1200 LTD

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Kickstand Kill Switch for '85 GL1200 LTD

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:00 am

Had this requirement going through my head after reading another thread, and because of this couldn't sleep. I have done a possible solution that would use a 5 pin electrical relay, and a car brake switch.

Here's my rendition:

Here's my thoughts on this schematic. I have taken the 12VDC supply to the kill switch and routed it to the normally open (NO) contact on the 5 pin relay. The relay would be electrically energized (switched) by the neutral signal from the gear shift sensor and this would connect power to the kill switch when starting the bike in neutral.

The kickstand switch would be a car brake switch (or similar). I thought of this type of switch because of how it works.

You splice and route the 12VDC supply to the kill switch to this kickstand switch. When the kickstand is down, the switch is not energized because the plunger on this brake switch is fully extended. The out wire from this switch would be connected to the 5 pin relay normally closed (NC) contact. When the kickstand is up and the plunger on the switch is depressed, the switch is now energized and the circuit is completed putting 12 VDC to the NC connector on the 5 pin relay.

When you shift the bike into gear, the signal from the gear shift sensor is lost because the bike is no longer in neutral. This would cause the 5 pin relay to de-energize causing the internals to switch the 12 VDC supply to the NC position which has a 12VDC signal from the kickstand switch.

In theory, I think this could work. My concerns are the transition through neutral from first to second, and the other way from second to first, as well as the speed with which the relay would transition from the NO to NC positions.

I have a lot of other work items I am doing at this time so this would be a future project, but invite comments.

Cheers
Ernest

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Kickstand Kill Switch for '85 GL1200 LTD

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:21 pm

You've got another switch to consider: the clutch switch. If you stall at an intersection, you want to be able to squeeze the clutch in and start the bike, so you can clear the intersection quickly. You don't want to have to switch to neutral first before you can start.

The correct logic is:

Kickstand down, in neutral = start/run
Kickstand down, in gear = no start, no run
Kickstand up, in neutral = start/run
Kickstand up, in gear, clutch out = run, not start
Kickstand up, in gear, clutch in = start/run

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks WingAdmin - more to consider. Took some pictures of the kickstand up and down. It is not the most mod friendly item on the bike. First picture is of the kickstand down.

You can see from the picture below, the kickstand is out over an inch from the frame.

Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:38 pm

This subject just keeps rearing its ugly head with a lot of information being found on the various forums about side stand indicator lights and a few with wiring mods that do most of what an OEM installed system does. When I find a new thread on this issue, I generally peruse it and the associated the recommended threads to read to see what has been done and is available.

I found a thread the other night and one of the posts directed me to an NGW thread on a side stand Interlock by Gregforesi. He has done a wiring/side stand interlock mod to his bike that is quite well done. I looked at his schematics and unfortunately I have yet to fully understand the use of all the relays and how it works; however, I do understand his basic schematic. His thread is at: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... +interlock

The item that controls the start/stop of the bike due to the side stand is the engine stop switch. Controlling the power to this switch is how the side stand interlock/indicating light system works. Power is controlled by using a relay that is controlled by a 12 VDC switched power circuit and grounded at three different points in the electrical system, these being:

side stand switch
neutral switch
clutch switch

Using the logic from Gregforesi's schematic, anytime the bike's ignition is turned on and the relay-R1 that controls the side stand interlock/indicator light system is not energized, the bike will turn over but will not start.

I also have the engine stop switch used to energize the accessory fuse block I installed. If the side stand interlock/indicator light circuit is not energized I will have no accessory power and there will be no power to the coils - should not be an issue.

The side stand indicator light can be a solid on or flashing light, your preference.

The 12 VDC switched power circuit to power real-R1 can be from any switched source.

When the side stand interlock/indicator light circuit is not powered and the ignition switch is on, the bike will turn over but not start.

I did take his initial drawing and do the same to the schematic for my '85 LTD. I find that the key to this setup is the grounding of the relay used to power the side stand interlock/indicator light system. I also refreshed my memory about how you would want the system to work that Wingadmin detailed in a post above. Wingadmin's logic sequence is:

The correct logic is:

Using all this info, and finally finding a schematic that works for almost all of Wingadmin's logic, here is the modified schematic for my '85:
My modified schematic showing the wiring and relay for the side stand interlock/indicator light circuit
My modified schematic showing the wiring and relay for the side stand interlock/indicator light circuit

I have gone through the logic sequence detailed above and the wiring for this side stand.

When you turn on the ignition switch on with the side stand down, the side stand interlock/indicator light circuit is energized by a switched 12 VDC power circuit and relay-R1 is grounded through the neutral switch at point #1. The connection is after the clutch diode that ensures there is no conflict with the clutch switch, and the side stand switch is only grounding the side stand indicator light. This part of the system meets the requirement of:

The side stand interlock/indicator light circuit has a ground point through the clutch switch. This will allow you to start the bike in gear with the side stand down, but will not allow you to ride away with the kickstand down because once you release the clutch to ride away the ground for relay-R1 will be lost de-energizing the side stand interlock/indicator light circuit.

With the kickstand up, ignition switch on, and the bike in neutral, the bike will start because the side stand interlock/indicator light circuit is energized by the switched 12 VDC power circuit and relay-R1 is grounded through the side stand switch and the neutral switch. With the side stand in the up position the side stand indicator light is now off. The bike will continue to run when shifted into first or another gear because the side stand interlock/indicator light circuit relay-R1 is still grounded through the side stand switch. This satisfies:

The next part of the logic sequence that I had to address was:

This is addressed by grounding relay-R1 of the circuit through the side stand switch.

The last part of the logic sequence to be addressed:

This is where I decided the side stand interlock/indicator light circuit had to be grounded through the clutch switch. This last part of the logic sequence is accomplished by having the side stand interlock/indicator light circuit grounded either through the side stand switch or the clutch switch. Not too sure if the ground through the clutch switch is required. If not, it will simplify the wiring requirements.

Gregforesi came up with an elegant solution for a side stand switch. Here is his picture of the side stand switch installtion:
Photo from Gregforesi thread on the NGW forum regarding side stand interlock circuit
Photo from Gregforesi thread on the NGW forum regarding side stand interlock circuit

I'm of the opinion that having relay-R1 have multiple ground positions should not be an issue and this will allow for the use of one relay to power the side stand interlock/indicator light circuit.

I'm thinking a test circuit will be in order before tapping into the bike wiring and installing parts and pieces.

Have a view and comments welcome.

Cheers

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”