Kickstand Kill Switch for '85 GL1200 LTD

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Kickstand Kill Switch for '85 GL1200 LTD

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:00 am

Had this requirement going through my head after reading another thread, and because of this couldn't sleep. I have done a possible solution that would use a 5 pin electrical relay, and a car brake switch.

Here's my rendition:

Here's my thoughts on this schematic. I have taken the 12VDC supply to the kill switch and routed it to the normally open (NO) contact on the 5 pin relay. The relay would be electrically energized (switched) by the neutral signal from the gear shift sensor and this would connect power to the kill switch when starting the bike in neutral.

The kickstand switch would be a car brake switch (or similar). I thought of this type of switch because of how it works.

You splice and route the 12VDC supply to the kill switch to this kickstand switch. When the kickstand is down, the switch is not energized because the plunger on this brake switch is fully extended. The out wire from this switch would be connected to the 5 pin relay normally closed (NC) contact. When the kickstand is up and the plunger on the switch is depressed, the switch is now energized and the circuit is completed putting 12 VDC to the NC connector on the 5 pin relay.

When you shift the bike into gear, the signal from the gear shift sensor is lost because the bike is no longer in neutral. This would cause the 5 pin relay to de-energize causing the internals to switch the 12 VDC supply to the NC position which has a 12VDC signal from the kickstand switch.

In theory, I think this could work. My concerns are the transition through neutral from first to second, and the other way from second to first, as well as the speed with which the relay would transition from the NO to NC positions.

I have a lot of other work items I am doing at this time so this would be a future project, but invite comments.

Cheers
Ernest

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Kickstand Kill Switch for '85 GL1200 LTD

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:21 pm

You've got another switch to consider: the clutch switch. If you stall at an intersection, you want to be able to squeeze the clutch in and start the bike, so you can clear the intersection quickly. You don't want to have to switch to neutral first before you can start.

The correct logic is:

Kickstand down, in neutral = start/run
Kickstand down, in gear = no start, no run
Kickstand up, in neutral = start/run
Kickstand up, in gear, clutch out = run, not start
Kickstand up, in gear, clutch in = start/run

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Re: Kickstand Kill Switch for '85 GL1200 LTD

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks WingAdmin - more to consider. Took some pictures of the kickstand up and down. It is not the most mod friendly item on the bike. First picture is of the kickstand down.

You can see from the picture below, the kickstand is out over an inch from the frame.

Cheers

Ernest
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”