engine mount oil leak

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
crow1
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a aspencade

engine mount oil leak

Postby crow1 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:00 pm

First off thanks for accepting me from sunny (freezing) scotland ;-) ... yesterday I was forced to go over an island in the middle of the road by a fckwit truck driver :evil: .. anyway thats another story .. the right hand engine mount caught the bricks that the island id made off causing a fair old thump :-( .. when I got home its had a fair old scraping but im leaking oil from both sides of the through bolt and dripping away quite the thing only when the engine is warm ....now its definitely from the through bolt (never leaked till the accident) but for oil to be leaking from this point is this very serious ? .. no visible cracks can be seen but my fear is its cracked internally :-( .. any advice or pointers much appreciated guys .... its DEFFO from either end of the through bolt ...

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: engine mount oil leak

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:31 pm

That does not sound good, if one of the main engine bolts has oil coming from both sides of it - sounds like maybe the crankcase has cracked or maybe just a gasket seal between the cranckcases? Chance of photos - also I would degrease the area and run it just to make sure where the oil is coming from, not doubting you of course. That island may have caused you some $$$$$, I don't suppose you got the rego of the fckwit truck driver ?

crow1

Postby crow1 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:39 am

Ive cleaned and checked ..its deffo weeping from the washers either end of the bolt :-( ... no I didnt get reg but if he had stopped I would have kicked his c@nt in :-( ... so it must be leaking internaly some how :-(

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby flash2002 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:15 pm

This maybe crazy but, take the bolt out and clean it out real good then with a light check and see where it's leaking from. Now here is the crazy part, if you see where its leaking from and its not a big leak, measure the distance in the hole and drill a hole under true the chanel maybe you can plug the leak from there with epoxy for steel. It will save you the trouble of taking the motor apart. Now remember, this is a crazy idea. :roll:

crow1

Postby crow1 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:34 pm

Flash you are one crazy dude :-) .. just ordered jb weld and will investigate saturday (fitting bathroom suite over next few days).. I thought about cleaning it all out and filling with rtv silicone then fit the bolt but dont know if that would work .. if im really stuck I have a spare engine I could take the casing from but if I can fix it in situ then great .. ill report back sat cheers guys ;-)

crow1

Postby crow1 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:01 pm

Dropped oil out and serviced her today ..Got bolt out today as I was free today :-) .. it was a tad bent from the damage so I straightened it out and maticulously cleaned the tube ..I pumped it full of rtv silicone and inserted the bolt turning it as it went in then removed it again and filled the tube with more silicone then inserted the bolt :-) .. I then re assembled everything and cleaned the crack in the cast and applied jb weld . Took her for a wee run (20 miles) and she is bone dry no leaks at all bu dont know how permenant the repair will be but I hope its for the life of the bike or me :-) .... thanks guys ;-)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”