1985 GL1200 LE Maintenance - Post Maintenance Report - Electrical Mods

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

1985 GL1200 LE Maintenance - Post Maintenance Report - Electrical Mods

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:35 pm

Have drawn up the new electrical diagram for the mods to my '85.

I have added three relays, a new accessory fuse block and a ground bus bar to the electrical system. All grounds with the exception of what was originally installed have been wired to the new ground bus bar. I do intend to move the original grounds when I find them over to the new bus bar.

Relay #1 in the diagram controls the 12VDC signal to the reg/rec for charging. This setup provides a "cleaner" 12VDC signal to the reg/rec, and is in my estimation a closer representation to the battery condition - thanks to all the information and comments I received on this. Should provide better control over the charging. The sensing wire from the stator harness is used to enable the relay when the ignition is turned on. The 12VDC signal to the reg/rec is through a fused 5A circuit from the accessory fuse block that was installed during my maintenance work.

The ground wires from the reg/rec have been wired to the new ground bus bar. The yellow wires have been spliced, soldered, and two layers of shrink tube used to cover these wires. The red wires have been similarly connected and soldered. I notice that there is a slight error on the diagram in that the switch wire to the relay appears to be from the stator, disregard - will be corrected.

Relay #2 in the diagram controls the 12VDC signal to the coils. This signal used to be from the kill switch, but the parasitic losses can from what I have read be upwards of 2VDC. I used the signal/sensing wire from the kill switch to enable this relay and have a "cleaner" 12VDC - 5A fused supply from the accessory fuse block to the coils.

Relay #3 in the diagram controls the power to the new accessory fuse block. I used the second coil signal/sensing wire from the kill switch to enable this relay so that 12VDC power is provided through the 30A main fuse off the starter relay. This ensures that all power through the accessory fuse block is off when the bike is not operating especially since I have the driving lights, hand warmers, and accessory outlet powered from this fuse block.

I trialed this system before starting the bike after the maintenance I did. I have been riding the bike for the past two weeks and the system is working as I had hoped. Cheers

Ernest

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Re: 1985 GL1200 LE Maintenance - Post Maintenance Report - Electrical Mods

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:47 pm

Went for a ride today, balmy 12 deg C. I have been keeping a close eye on the voltage showing on the on-board bike voltmeter since I did the electrical wiring changes. Took a picture at idle. It shows 13.5V at 1040 RPM.

The system ranges from 11.5V up to a high of 13.8V. The system is generally stable at 13.7V on the highway. I noticed today that when stopped (I have the driving lights on and the main light on high beam) that the charging would fluctuate depending on battery usage at low RPM. I think this is normal, but will monitor. I like to think I do good work, but I'm also my worst critic.

Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:34 pm

Had read in a different thread that the installed voltmeter wasn't reading accurately. I have tested mine with a battery tender voltmeter - the one that fits where the battery tender charger hooks to the bike. I found that the OEM voltmeter reads 13.6V, but the battery tender voltmeter reads 14.3V. I think it may have something to do with the wiring change I did between the stator-reg/rec. Before I soldered the connections the voltmeter would read higher. I also changed the ground wires direct to the new ground bus, and installed a relay to provide a "truer" 12VDC signal to the reg/rec.

I think the voltmeter now reads low at all times, but the gauge is an indication and as long as it is consistent, I can live with it. May install a second one that is connected directly to the battery, but that is another little project for later.

I will also be doing a small change to the wiring mods I did for the coils and reg/rec. The 12VDC power to the coils and reg/rec are fused from the new accessory fuse block I installed. The relay that controls the fuse block is switched so that it is off when the bike is off. The wire that energizes the relay to provide power to the fuse block is also controlled by the "kill" switch. I will do a test and install jumper wires to make sure that the bike will operate with out the additional two relays (coil mod and reg/rec mod), and ensure that when the "kill" switch is used the bike shuts off. If all works as I think it will, I will remove a bit of wiring and two relays (now have lots of spares). This will also minimize any future troubleshooting of the new wiring, will only have to check fuses and the one relay if the bike will not start - two places to look instead of four is much better. Will post new wiring schematic when done.

Cheers

Ernest

Asp
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200AH Aspencade

Postby Asp » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:18 pm

I've been thinking of doing something similar, but taking the voltage sensing wire from the regulator through the relay directly to the main fuse connection near the battery (instead of the connecting it through the new fusebox as in your diagram).

The reason for doing this being the regulator would then "see" an accurate reflection of the actual voltage across the battery & keep it at its optimum charging voltage, even if there was a slight voltage drop by the time power has arrived at the fusebox, which although quite small is inevitable.

At the moment on my bike there is 0.5v drop between the battery & fusebox when all the lights etc are switched on, which means instead of the battery receiving 14.4v, it gets 14.9v, as the standard regulator voltage sense wire is "seeing" its 14.4v reference from the fusebox side of the circuit & doesn't take into account the actual battery voltage is 0.5v higher, resulting in overcharging.

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:31 pm

Another possibility for myself is that I am going to look at the wiring for the installed voltmeter and see if there is another way to route the wiring so that it is a more accurate display of what is happening in the charging system. It would be nice to see a more accurate reading.

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:33 pm

I have updated the wiring schematic for the relays I installed, and modified the wiring to suit. Here is the new schematic for the wiring I did:

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”