ONE FIX FOR NON WORKING DIGITAL DISPLAY 85

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
rosey1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200L Goldwing

ONE FIX FOR NON WORKING DIGITAL DISPLAY 85

Postby rosey1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:43 pm

* Edit post
* Delete post
* Report this post

Re: 85 LTD PROBLEMS... HELP?

Postby rosey1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:05 am
Okay folks here it is ... the answer to my stupidity and lack of common sense... I finally found the electrical problem with my 85 LTD... It seems that when you fry the radio in this bike the instrument cluster won't work and I had to find this out after going over several electrical schematics, which took a long time by the way, and hours of head scratchin to figure it out... It all started with the installation of a Poorboy kit that said in the instructions that any switched wire could be used for an exciter for the alternator you'll install. Don't believe it for a second... I haphazardly used a white wire that went into the trip computer as it was 12v and thought everything would be fine. I fired the bike up and checked the voltage at the battery which was about 14.3 at an idle and thought alright I got it without having to pull another motor but then a cloud of smoke puffed out from where the radio was quickly dying from a voltage feedback. I quickly shut the machine off and ripped the stereo from its hole but the damage had been done. Afterward I noticed that the digital display in my dash wasn't working and I thought that the feedback or short had took it out also... you can imagine the words working their way to my lips at this point. Anyway I slowly through time and the administration of money and study bought a new radio, dash and then finally a cruise control computer as it controls all the dashes power. Anyway I didn't put the radio in til today because the cost of doing so was prohibitive but I was finally at my wits end because none of the other parts that I had installed had made a difference. Also the service supplement didn't have a complete idiot proof solution either so at the last moment I decided to install the radio to see if it was on the same circuit as the digital display... I slowly switched ignition to the accessory position and voila the dash was working again. Now all I've got to do is get the new tags and I'm gone. I would like to thank the administrator for all his/her help and others that tried also.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: ONE FIX FOR NON WORKING DIGITAL DISPLAY 85

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:52 pm

Glad to hear you finally got this working!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”