Intro & Manual question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
84interstate
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I Interstate

Intro & Manual question

Postby 84interstate » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:16 am

Hello all - I just picked up a nice (I think, so far) 1984 Interstate. Trying to avoid asking stupid questions, but am stymied trying to find an owners manual online. I had high hopes for the long list of manuals offered here, but of course, the one for my bike is just a link to an outside place that will snail mail me a photocopy of the manual for $25. Am I missing an obvious solution or am I stuck paying for this mailed copy?

As for immediate issues, I've figured out a lot by process of elimination, but a couple of things escape me.

1. There is a round push-button on the left side of the fairing (to the right of the map holder, switch is nubbed kind of like a golf ball, a little larger than a dime. What is this?

2. I'm told that the seat is adjustable to 3 positions & that the seat release lever is under the lower door of the false tank. I can pull this out a little & feel something engaging/disengaging, but the seat won't move. Do the allen bolts on either side of the seat have to be loosened/removed before the position can be adjusted?

3. I have big feet (size 15) and am finding it difficult to shift (particularly upshift) without looking like a fumbling n00b. Are there any aftermarket options available for either a heel-toe shifter or even just an extended length peg?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris

thompsoj22
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200I

Re: Intro & Manual question

Postby thompsoj22 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:14 am

im also new to the Goldwing community, you have come to the right place! mine is an 85 interstate so the switch/button you define is not on mine? you do have a headlight adj knob on the left side. the manuals are available on this site until you can get oe service manual, they are on ebay search 84-87 GL1200. im 6'3 and have the footboards with heel/toe shifting. it isn't the most accurate method of shifting because of the lack of feel/accuracy but the footboards will probably be a must for you based on your size/height. unless your 5'1 with size 15 boots? :lol: I am loyal to HD but got my 1200I from a friend, it is one of the best bikes I have ever owned! I cant explain why, maybe based on its age and still runs like a clock or how versatile it is. you can go xmas shopping and get groceries on the way back to the house and still have room for more in the bags! read all the gl1200 DIY topics at the top of the page just to start getting familiar with the bike. oh yea the seat, you have to loosen the bolt on the left side to allow the seat to slide forward and back, once you get it where you want it than tighten the left bolt.

84interstate
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby 84interstate » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. After scooting around town today, I found a good foot position, so not sure I'm really going to need that $500 footboard upgrade, though I may still look for a longer shift peg.

I, too am a HD guy (at least I was until I had to sell my Superglide to buy a new car). Now just glad to be back in the wind. Looks like I've got some work to do though. Rear brake is smooth but the front waffles when applied, like the rotor is uneven.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:00 pm

1) no idea about the " Button " Pics might help us all What happens when you push it ??

2) Seat adjustment is done with a small lever on the left allen bolt . But ... after sitting for a winter, mine get quite tight .... so if yours has been at the same position for several years ... probably "locked " right up .
Remove the two allen bolts, clean and very lightly grease ( I use White Lithium Grease )
Then completely remove seat ( Slide forward, then back, and clean and grease all sliding surfaces on seat rails, and on bike . Te front track is the one most likely rusted up. Re-assemble, and try it

3) You can get a GL1200 heel and toe and floorboard combo for much less than that if you hang around EBay for a month or so ..... many people are parting out GL1200's

4) manual ? Some useful parts available on this site :
http://goldwingdocs.com/Manuals.asp

But even at full used prices , on say, Amazon :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... rds=GL1200

..... this $25 to $50 will pay for itself in less than one repair 1!!

( Just check with your Local Honda dealer for prices on brake pad replacement , or oil change

Enjoy !!

SilverDave

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”