Hydro lock??????

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Geofd
Motorcycle: 1986 gl 1200

Hydro lock??????

Postby Geofd » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:01 am

Hello again like i said before maybe a new owner of an 86 interstate I owned a kawasaki concours a while ago that was a big topic I guess raw gas gets into the cylinders and can't be compressed
Trashing the engine so they installed overflow tubes on the carbs is that an
issue here??????

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Re: Hydro lock??????

Postby twocams » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:40 am

I think carbureted engines have a better chance of getting a lot of gas in the oil. But your always going to have some gas mix cause its an internal combustion engine. With these wings getting 200,000-300,000 miles on them I dont think its a problem at all. Change the oil and filter at regular intervals. Now "milkshake oil" can be another story. If you blow a head gasket, crack a head, or water pump lets coolant into the oil that can cause all kinds of trouble. During riding season I like to check my oil every 500 miles or so. Some bikes use oil but also to keep an eye on things. But I do that with all 3 of my bikes. OK so I wasted 3 min. but may some day save myself $3-5000 just by checking. IMHO

Twocams

Geofd
Motorcycle: 1986 gl 1200

Postby Geofd » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:54 am

They always talked about the older
Concours models (carbs) but I haven't seen any arrivals on this so that's a good thing

thompsoj22
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200I

Postby thompsoj22 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:17 am

it did happen to me once, trailering my GSXR to willow springs. All suited up, throw my leg over the bike and hit the starter and simply sounded like a dead battery? fortunately, and only by pure luck my first thought was to pull a spark plug, upon removal it was dripping wet so I pulled all four, placed all four battery leads in a ziplock bag so as not to ignite the fuel and hit the starter button each cylinder sprayed fuel out the plug hole. put the plugs in and it fired but was loaded up for a few seconds. what saved the bike was it was the upstroke cyl was full of fuel not allowing any momentum, if the up stroke had fired normally and then brought a flooded cyl up on compression that is where you bend/break rods. Any pintle and float carb is capable of flooding cyls by allowing the bowl to fill and fuel weeping past the main/needle jet. if im going to trailer a carbed bike I always turn the fuel petcock off. The constant bouncing on the trailer really puts the test to the needle and seat so don't trust it. you should not see the flooding in any normal situation with your Goldwing.

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Postby twocams » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:05 pm

After replacing my gas tank with an 87, rebuilding my carbs with new float needles and gaskets. i got her running for a little while, then it was time for dinner. Next morning my shop had a heavy gas smell. # 4 carburetor was leaking gas. I had left the gas on and there was pressure build up in the gas tank....I only put in about 2 gal. of gas. Checked the oil to see if any had gone to the crankcase. Heavy gas smell and looked thinned out a bit. So I changed the oil, altho it only had about 15 min.on it. But I dont want to loose a bearing cause im to cheap or lazy to change heavy contaminated oil. :shock: No I didnt even try to start it, just pulled the spark plug. Could it have had hydrolock ? Maybe....if it did, :shock: it would have been my fault not the bike. :!:

Twocams

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:56 pm

Hydrolock is, indeed, a major issue in the Concours 1000 world, and there are lots of them that have suffered this fate, to a greater or lesser degree. In the Connies, the tiniest bit of grit getting past the filter (well...gravel strainer) in the pectcock can make its way into one of the carbs, causing the float to not seal. Basically, from that point, the contents of the fuel tank slowly pour into whichever cylinders have valves open, and any attempt at starting the bike will have dire consequences. The starter motor has sufficient power & gearing reduction to bend connecting rods. Interestingly, lots of Connies with bent rods continue to give good service, albeit with one cylinder being lower in compression than the others.

This was an issue that worried me on my '86 Connie. One day, when I went out to ride, the starter just went 'click', and the engine didn't turn over at all. There was no smell of gas, until I pulled the plugs - when I cranked it over without them, jets of liquid gas shot right up to the ceiling. When I measured piston height, I found one cylinder was lower at TDC by about 1 mm vs. the others, so it had been hydrolocked. :o

I did continue to ride the bike for a couple more years, and never noticed any difference in its usual startling performance. Some Connie owners weren't so lucky - total engine destruction is actually pretty common in hydrolock events.

Subsequently, I added another, inline, filter to ensure this didn't happen again. That is one of the scary things about an automatic, vacuum-operated petcock (like the 'WIng!) - are you ever certain fuel's not flowing into the engine when it's not running? I console myself with the knowledge that my 1500 has a fuel pump, so free flow into the engine is unlikely, but I don't know if a siphon effect could still cause it to happen...

Anyway, hydrolock is a BIG DEAL!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”