First Wing First Post

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

First Wing First Post

Postby Rusty Bike » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi all, I just brought home an 86 GL1200 SEi. 43,000 well kept miles on bike. Fires right up, sounds good. Brought it home in a Uhaul box trailer due to salt on the roads here in N.W. PA. I am the third owner. Bike needs fork seals, timeing belts are of unknown age so need replaced. Break lines are OEM. Final drive has weeped some lube but no drips on floor. I have not checked stator wires but V meter shows 14.7V when running which is a good sign. Starter seems to crank slow and main fuse was blown once so I am suspicious of the starter. Has mild exhaust leak on left side. Bike has current PA inspection and everything is working. Has matching helmets and helmet bags!

I am currently rebuilding my old Yamaha 750 Special. I bought that bike new in 78. I do know my way around a tool box.

Questions: Who sells a good starter? Is mine rebuildable?

: The OEM helmets are nice on the outside but worn on the inside, does anyone rebuild these? Thanks...Rusty

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: First Wing First Post

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:07 pm

I would think giving your existing starter motor a good service - maybe new brushes if needed, and a good clean up of ALL the earth connections will see the bike start stronger - making sure you have a good battery on hand.
Check the stator wire connector to make sure it is in good condition, then go riding. :)

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Postby twocams » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:00 pm

I dont think anyone will rebuild your helmets. There is too much liability involved. Life expectancy is only 5-10 yrs I think. Unless damaged in a crash. :shock:

Twocams

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:40 pm

Conventional wisdom is that the front / back wheels be up on a 2x4 board, and bike be leaning over to the left on the side stand . This keeps the chain in the correct spot for re-attachment .

The hard part is getting the starter out of the bike : forward 1 inch, tip up, jog left , back just a bit , etc, etc
and thats after you've possibly dropped the pipes and muffler.
but ....
once its out , almost any Auto electric shop will rebuild it for minimal cost : I got mine re and re'd about 11 years ago for about $30.
That included new brushes, cleanup, removal of all the greasy carbon, new bearing , and a bench test.

Its cheap and fast because they know exactly what they are doing .

Then the second hard part : back an inch, up just a bit, twist left , and so on ...
LOL
Be sure and clean up all the posts and ground connections before buttoning it all up .
The two small attachment bolts have a VERY low torque before they snap off ( 5 ft-lbs maybe ?)
so its finger tight and just a VERY gently snugging .... or possibly an inch -lb torque wrench .

SilverDave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:35 pm

Rusty Bike wrote:Hi all, I just brought home an 86 GL1200 SEi. 43,000 well kept miles on bike. Fires right up, sounds good. Brought it home in a Uhaul box trailer due to salt on the roads here in N.W. PA. I am the third owner. Bike needs fork seals, timeing belts are of unknown age so need replaced. Break lines are OEM. Final drive has weeped some lube but no drips on floor. I have not checked stator wires but V meter shows 14.7V when running which is a good sign. Starter seems to crank slow and main fuse was blown once so I am suspicious of the starter. Has mild exhaust leak on left side. Bike has current PA inspection and everything is working. Has matching helmets and helmet bags!

I am currently rebuilding my old Yamaha 750 Special. I bought that bike new in 78. I do know my way around a tool box.

Questions: Who sells a good starter? Is mine rebuildable?

: The OEM helmets are nice on the outside but worn on the inside, does anyone rebuild these? Thanks...Rusty

Helmets are not rebuildable. Most helmet manufacturers tell you that after 5 years of use, helmets should be permanently retired.

tbeiler
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo

Postby tbeiler » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:48 pm

From above quote
'Conventional wisdom is that the front / back wheels be up on a 2x4 board, and bike be leaning over to the left on the side stand . This keeps the chain in the correct spot for re-attachment"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the 86 and 87 bikes, the starter can come out no problem with bike on the centerstand. It's the 84 and 85's that need to be tipped slightly to the left. (From the Clymer manual)

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:24 pm

the fuse, wiring around the fuse, amd the starter soleniod, would be a place to start looking before ther starter motor, as its quite common for the 1200 to have issues in this area. change the fuse to a blade type, replace the starter soleniod, check all the wiring around the fuse, including a good connection to the battery.

check the battery is ok too.

good luck,

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:38 pm

tbeiler wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the 86 and 87 bikes, the starter can come out no problem with bike on the centerstand. It's the 84 and 85's that need to be tipped slightly to the left. (From the Clymer manual)

The starter will come out just fine either way. It's getting the starter back IN, that you need it on the side stand, to move the starter sprocket in the bike to line up with the mounting area.

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:54 pm

I replaced the dogbone fuse which was original, I see no reason to go to a blade type fuse other than convenience and improved availability. The battery is brand new and well charged, terms are shiny. That solenoid is small IMO, may be a problem. I think I need to get a wireing schematic for this baby. A good manual for the fuel injection would be invaluable IMO. I much prefer printed, real paper, manuals....Rusty

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:47 am

To help you with your Wing you need the 1984-1987 GL1200 as well as the supplement manual for the 1986 GL1200 SEi. You can get factory manuals from Helm. http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_serv ... lass_2=AHC
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

koyote
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing SE-I
1994 Intruder 800
1987 Honda Helix (wife)

Postby koyote » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:02 pm

check the starter sure, but.... how old is the battery? And are you starting in neutral?

MY battery is about due to be replaced. Winters are hard on them. If I start in gear (hydraulic clutch, not a cable) it will sometimes REALLY chug a bit before starting right up.

If it's warm and I'm in N, the starter just jumps right in...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Rusty Bike wrote:I replaced the dogbone fuse which was original, I see no reason to go to a blade type fuse other than convenience and improved availability. The battery is brand new and well charged, terms are shiny. That solenoid is small IMO, may be a problem. I think I need to get a wireing schematic for this baby. A good manual for the fuel injection would be invaluable IMO. I much prefer printed, real paper, manuals....Rusty

I can give you a few good reasonss:

1. The dogbone fuse is prone to cracking over time, with heat cycles and age, and will leave you with a dead bike, usually miles from nowhere (although when it happened to me, I was less than a mile from home, thankfully)

2. When it does fail, miles from nowhere, the little gas station you find yourself hiking to will have lots of automotive blade fuses, but they will never have heard of a dogbone fuse.

3. Dogbone fuses are fragile and thin. You can carry spare ones, but they can get easily damaged - and they're not cheap. A blade fuse can be had for less than a dollar, you can throw a handful of them loose in a fairing pocket, and they're pretty much indestructible.

oldishwinger

Postby oldishwinger » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:54 pm

this may sound a little strange, but its something I notice can make the starter slow a little, although not on a constant basis.
When the ignition is turned on, the icu runs a system check, you can watch it going through cycle, if the bike has the eletronic dashboard.

If the starter button, is pressed before the check is complete, it can cause the starter motor to hang a little. I wait for the system check to complete, before starting, or count to 5 before pressing the starter button.

Rusty Bike

Postby Rusty Bike » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:28 pm

Thats intresting and good to know. I see Ebay has about a zillion manuals.
My bike is the SEi, my fork seals are leaking so a rebuild is necessary. I see the Progressive front springs are the way to go. These should be run at zero PSI on the forks. How do you defeat the airride to run these springs?

oldishwinger

Postby oldishwinger » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:46 pm

Rusty Bike wrote:Thats intresting and good to know. I see Ebay has about a zillion manuals.
My bike is the SEi, my fork seals are leaking so a rebuild is necessary. I see the Progressive front springs are the way to go. These should be run at zero PSI on the forks. How do you defeat the airride to run these springs?

would highly recommend the progressives they give a more positive feel to the ride. having zero air with them is not a given, its a matter of riding with what you are comfortable with, and as a max of 6psi is recommended with the front forks, you may find that the ride is fine with a such a small amount of air. also altering the trac system will help get the ride you want.

I'm not sure but I dont think you can or would want to disable the sei's automatic air system, not without major surgery, and you may end up with other issues.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 pm

oldishwinger wrote:
Rusty Bike wrote:Thats intresting and good to know. I see Ebay has about a zillion manuals.

would highly recommend the progressives they give a more positive feel to the ride. having zero air with them is not a given, its a matter of riding with what you are comfortable with, and as a max of 6psi is recommended with the front forks, you may find that the ride is fine with a such a small amount of air. also altering the trac system will help get the ride you want.

I'm not sure but I dont think you can or would want to disable the sei's automatic air system, not without major surgery, and you may end up with other issues.

I have an '85 LTD and had a suspension upgrade done. Progressive shocks on the back, just disconnected the air lines and have them tied back. The front forks have Race Tech springs and valves installed. The shop had to drill out the existing holes to approximately 1/2 inch in the lower pipe and add 2 additional holes in each side for fluid flow. I do not have to add air to the front forks, but that is my preference. It has made a significant difference to the handling of the bike. I do not have to use the auto air system. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rusty Bike

Postby Rusty Bike » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:47 am

Well, I bought a NOS OEM Honda GL1200, 84-87 manual and a used 86 SEi supplemental manual on Ebay. I see there is an 86 electrical troubleshooting manual available also. Will this electrical manual cover my SEi also or is there a specific electrical manual for the SEi? Also is there anyone here who has an SEi owner's manual? Thanks...Rusty

Rusty Bike

Postby Rusty Bike » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:30 pm

OK, I was reading some old posts on here and someone stated that Jump starting my SEi will blow out the ECI. What is the ECI? We did jump this bike to get it started when I first checked it out. A brand new battery would not turn it well enough to start so we assumed the battery was not charged and we jumped it. Started right up! Turned out that the new battery had a bad cell. The next new battery starts the bike well enough. So, did we mess this bike up when we jumped it? How can I tell if there is a problem? I'm feeling a little queasy about this. Thanks...Rusty

pixel288
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1982 GS400E Suzuki
2009 CBR 125R HRC colors (daughter's bike)
1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby pixel288 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:26 pm

Dont panic on the ECU (Engine Control Unit)-that's the brain that runs the reads the sensors and runs the fuel injection system to run the engine. If it started, it wasn't hurt. They either work or they don't. Not really any in-between. If you were to accidentally reverse the jumper cables, THAT might blow the ECU, but that's worst case scenario. Rest easy...

Phil

Rusty Bike

Postby Rusty Bike » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Phew! Thanks, I feel better now! Started reading the 84-87 manual so I can get educated about my new bike. Ride safe all...Rusty

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:00 pm

FYI The jump start fear is around how you jump start any vehicle that has a cpu in it. Procedure is hook up positives then negative on "live" batt then neg. on dead batt. Reverse order after jump. Helps prevent power surges that can wipe out the delicate electronics.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Rusty Bike

Postby Rusty Bike » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:29 pm

Well, the salt is off the roads so I took the SEi out for it's maiden voyage today. Rode the back roads for about an hour. Bike is kinda bulky around 2200 rpms. Runs out nice and pulls strong when you nail it. I put in one gallon of fresh non ethanol gas and 3 oz of Seafoam, in an empty tank. I'll give that stuff some time to work.

I don't know how the Air Ride works, or anything else for that matter! The airride buttons don't seem to do anything?? I need an owners manual. Does anyone know where I can get a copy or a scan of the manual to print? thanks

Rusty Bike

Postby Rusty Bike » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:58 am

OK, I got the rear shocks to pump up so the compressor is working sometimes. I ran them up to 15 psi then back down to 14psi. When switch is put to front, nothing is happening. The handlebar mounted switch block feels sluggish and sticky. I feel most of the problems are in the switch block. Is this assembly serviceable? Can I get in there to spray some Deoxit on the switches? The digital display on the right fairing lower shows the front shocks at 3 psi and rear at 14psi. Is this about right or is the rear hard at this pressure? Ride felt hard to me?? Thanks for any help...

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:53 am

I can't comment on your bikes air pressure other than just a few pounds in the forks, or none, sounds okay.

I've had 3 GL1200's but my last one was about 15 years ago. I have a 1500 now, (my first). Just got it last November.

First of all ( :roll: ) congratulations on your new (to you) SEi. When I was searching for a new (to me) Goldwing, I looked real hard at the '85 Limited and the '86 SEi. But then I found my 1500 and it was cheaper! :D

I still like the looks of the 1200 a lot and each time I log on, I see the 1200's and I remember the good times I had and how much easier (it seems now) they were to work on.
Enjoy and ride safe! :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Postby twocams » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:15 pm

if 14 fells hard then probably is, after 30 yrs how accurate are the gauges? lower it down some more. Book says max 57 PSI rear.... front max 6 PSI. But thats for a full load. There is a how to clean switches on this sight, how to articles.

twocams

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”