87 Aspy rear suspension issues

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Mav4G
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

87 Aspy rear suspension issues

Postby Mav4G » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi guys. This red Aspy I bought 4-5 weeks ago has a list of issues Im going through. Im not up to speed on the rear shocks. The manual says to have it on the center stand when filling with air. My onboard compressor works as do the gauges. It says the rear shocks are full but when I go over the RR tracks I bottom out - hard. I assumed the manual said the center stand so you wouldn't fill it up and have the bike suddenly lunge away from you uncontrollably. My stand is hard to maneuver, rusty I think, and my question is this. Would you suspect the seals as being bad, or they just need fluid? There's no leak going on I can see but they may be dry or down on fluid. I looked in the DIY section for GL1200 rear shock issues but there are no links there to help out. Anyone with knowledge on how to address this would be appreciated. Im hoping of course I don't have to remove them. But either way I've got to find out what my issue is. Thanks up front for any thoughts about the shocks. Be well.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 87 Aspy rear suspension issues

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:33 pm

The reason you want it on the center stand is to set the initial pressure correctly. The air is essentially the adjustable preload. If you put 20 psi in the shocks when it is on the center stand, then take it off the center stand, the weight of the bike compresses the shocks - the amount the shocks compress is called the sag. The area inside the shock for the air is made smaller as a result, so the pressure increases, say to 40 psi. This is your actual preload.

If you were to set your shocks to 20 psi when it is on the wheels, you don't have anywhere near the amount of pressure you actually should have.

Now as for the bottoming out, there are a number of things that can be causing this. Most often, it is worn out springs that simply don't have the ability to properly hold up the bike anymore. However, it can also be bad dampers, seals, incorrect oil viscosity, insufficient oil...anything basically that normally resists the shock being compressed.

Mav4G
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: 87 Aspy rear suspension issues

Postby Mav4G » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:38 pm

Thanks WingAdmin for your input. I guess I'll do some work to the center stand and get a reading from there. If you want to add fluid or do any work to the shocks am I correct in assuming you have to pull all 3 luggage boxes for access? You don't happen to know a URL for this repair by any chance? Thanks again for your help.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”