84 GL1200 - what to look for?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
calvecg
Motorcycle: None as yet

84 GL1200 - what to look for?

Postby calvecg » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:21 am

Never had a wing before, but I've had motorcycles for 25 years, I do my own wrenching. Going to look at an 84 that's been sitting for a couple years, 60K on the clock, anything vital to be looking for? My plan is to do a 3,000 ride this summer, this will be the steed once I've got it up to snuff. So whatever advice you guys can give would be appreciated.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: 84 GL1200 - what to look for?

Postby SilverDave » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:17 am

A 300o mile trip ... ? on a machine thats been sitting for a couple of years ?

Well.. first the obvious:
all fluids and filters : gas, oil, brakes, rear hypoid oil, antifreeze , etc, etc
Secondly I would not trust tires or a battery that had been " sitting " for that long .
What ever the PO says , change the timing belts .... they dry out, and take a set upon sitting . If they break on an interference fit engine, you will need a new engine. You can get NAPA gates T070 belts for less than $30, and they are exactly what Honda sells . If you are an experienced wrench, and have a manual , you should have no problem doing this .

Finally some Seafoam in the tank, new gas, new oil, and you should be good to go .

For a longish trip like that , I might also install a small voltmeter, to have a heads-up before any stator problem leaves you stranded ..

Good Luck, and welcome to the Forum

SilverDave

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:09 pm

Welcome. As a new person to this forum and other GW forums, I have found the information here to be invaluable. SilverDave has prodded me along as well, as have others, but all intentions have been to make sure I have trouble free motoring.

Pull the FD and driveshaft, take out the u-joint and lube all splines with moly paste. Things dry out after a couple of years. When I did this, I gave the pinion shaft a wiggle and it moved - not supposed to - replaced the pinion shaft bearing (cheaper and easier than getting another used FD). Unfortunately, had to go to Honda for this bearing, seems to be proprietary to Honda.

Browse this and the other forums, figure out what you want to do, spend a couple of weekends doing the work, then enjoy your new ride. No doubt it will take you on your trip trouble free.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:28 am

..... and if you are taking a 3000 mile trip.... be sure to carefully check the stator with the proper "Three Part Test "
(this Test available elsewhere on this site )
Then see if the stator yellow wire plug has been cut out and hard soldered /shrink wrapped... and maybe the similar wires at the rect/reg .
( It will be pretty obvious if they need to be done ... the plug will look " Toasty ", and yellowish )

and for a long trip ... remove the %#&@^% dogbone fuse, and replace it with a marine quality waterproof blade fuse holder and a 30 or 40 amp blade fuse .

Dogbone fuses age and crack, usually miles from anywhere,( leaving you stranded )
and only blade fuses are available at any country garage...

Even if you carry Dogbone fuses, they also age and crack. and are very un-reliable .

Spare headlight bulb is also a good idea, as well as a set of new, gapped plugs, and one spare brake pad set .

Enjoy the ride !!

SilverDave
Attachments

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Here is the information I received from SilverDave regarding testing stator and reg/rec:

Here is the Ken Chapin 3 part stator test for a GL1200:

http://iwing.org/Tech%20info/testingstator.htm

You have already " done step 1 , and since you have not soldered ( yet ) #2 is easy
( I would have to unsolder my Linemans splices ! )

Part one :
in step #3: AC voltage test between each A-B , B-C, and C-A should give 50 to 75 volts AC on each pair
( This is the most important test : Ditch the stator if it doesn't pass this step )

Part Two :
as in step #5 :Good continuity on each leg A-B , B-C, and C-A with ohmmeter at 1 ohm
and finally Part Three :
High resistance between each of A , B , and C to ground of stator case .

-----------------------------------------
so Three tests :
50 volts AC per pair, low resistance on each pair , and high resistance to ground .
---------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
The reg/rect test is a little more complex .. This is from my Clymer manual :

Positive Ohmmeter to a yellow and negative to a green ...... continuity ?
Reverse Ohmmeter leads to same and repeat last step ... no continuity ?
then
Positive Ohmmeter lead to red/white , negative to Yellow ... Continuity ?
Reverse Ohmmeter leads and repeat last step ... no continuity ?

I found that my " digital ohmmeter doesn' t do this very well, so I dug out my old " Needle" ohmmeter
and it worked .

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

calvecg
Motorcycle: None as yet

Postby calvecg » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 am

Well, the sale fell through, so I have no Wing. Good responses from you guys though, I appreciate your efforts. I'm still in the hunt.....

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”