GL1200 back on the road, few issues to solve

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Asp
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200AH Aspencade

GL1200 back on the road, few issues to solve

Postby Asp » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:42 pm

Got my newly acquired 100k mile GL1200 up & running yesterday, after spending the last week fixing the starter motor & a few other items & have just been for the first ride out.
I've noticed a few issues.

1, fuel gauge stays on one bar, even though the tank is now full.

2, temp gauge only sits on 2 bars when the bike has fully warmed up, but being as its only 4 degrees C outside today could this be normal?
It did go to 3 bars & the fan came on just at the end of negotiating my dirt track on my return home. Most of my other vehicles fans kick in in similar fashion on that track, so it looks like that is normal, its just I didn't expect the gauge to read so low.

3, lot of smoke from the lefthand exhaust on startup after stopping for fuel. Stopped later for a similar amount of time, but on a slight slope so the nose of the bike was higher than the rear, no smoke this time.

4, slight/medium driveline vibration all the time on the move when no power applied. Disappears as soon as any throttle is applied. Could this be due to the fact the rear splined drive is in bad shape? I have a replacement on order.

Any help with these issues would be gratefully received.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Re: GL1200 back on the road, few issues to solve

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:44 pm

Have an '85 LTD and found that it smoked if Ieft it on the side stand overnight or for an extended period. This is apparently historic with the boxer style engine. I have found that minimizing the lean when on the side stand takes care of this. I have a side stand pad that is 1", provides enough lean so I don't worry about it being too straight, and I don't get "smoking" on start up.

I had a slight vibration when I let off the throttle, but nothing when power applied. Also have a small "clink" in the rear of the bike when I start in first gear. When I took the FD, drive shaft and u-joint out, it was well lubricated but the pinion shaft bearing was done. Replaced it, had to go to Honda (it appears to be proprietary) for it. Easy fix. Everything is back together and there is still a small movement in the rear of the bike, but it is much smoother when I let off the throttle.

Have checked torque of swing arm bearings, but may change just in case (32 years old and things don't stay as firm as they used to be). Checked price at Honda - $65.00 (Timken bearing) - at my local Napa for an SKF equivalent $35.00.

As for the electrics, don't know. The low fuel warning does not work on my '85, will get at it soon.

Good luck.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Asp

Postby Asp » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:21 pm

The pad idea sounds a nice easy fix, and there is quite a lean on my bike, so I'm sure it will help a lot.
Thanks for the heads up on the possible pinion bearing issue. Due to the the drive flange spline wear I've got a complete good used final drive assembly on order, so hopefully it will be smoother than whats on there at the moment. I'll pull the old one to bits after I've swapped them & see what the issue is with it.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:54 pm

1, fuel gauage connections are under the seat, check to see they are seated and clean, replace the fuse, this is under the false tank. if that fails then the sending unit inside the tank will probably be the problem.

temp wise 2 would be pretty normal at 4c I would think, the manual states anywhere from 2 to 8 bars is ok, although running at 8 all the time would be too high in my humble opinion. normal running for mine is 3 to 4 bars in humid conditions, with fan kicking in around the 5 bars.

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:03 pm

Was out today and my '85 runs at 4 bars on the highway and fan comes on at 7 bars. Goes back to 4 bars when on the go again. Cheers

Ernest

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:13 pm

The vibration when not under load could be the universal joint.

Asp

Postby Asp » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Thanks. I'll be sure to check the u/j when I swap the final drive.
Also getting what seems to be engine vibration between 2000 to 2500 RPM if accelerating at anything other than very lightly.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:51 pm

Asp wrote:Thanks. I'll be sure to check the u/j when I swap the final drive.
Also getting what seems to be engine vibration between 2000 to 2500 RPM if accelerating at anything other than very lightly.

Where are you feeling the vibration? I know when my universal joint was starting to go, I was feeling it in the footpegs.

Asp

Postby Asp » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:58 pm

The whole bike.
I thought at first it could be the engine mounting bolts possibly being loose, as thats happened on another bike & it felt similar, but they checked ok.
It happens in all gears at the same rpm range, so thats what makes me think its engine related

Asp

Postby Asp » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:17 am

Having read up on here I think the engine vibes maybe from the primary chain due to carbs being out of sync. Think I'll get the final drive changed first to address the main driveline vibration issue then look into it.

On a happier note the fuel gauge not reading turned out to be nothing more than a loose plug on the sender unit :)

Got a couple of hundred miles put on the bike now, and enjoying every one of them, even though the weather is rather wet & cold here at the moment. This is the first fully faired bike I've owned & that big fairing & screen really makes a difference. The screen fitted is a Slipstreamer & the top of the screen is pretty much exactly where I tend to look at the road ahead. I'm guessing its a bit shorter than stock, as I find a lot less wind buffeting if I duck down a few inches?

Asp

Postby Asp » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:38 pm

Changed the driveshaft, final drive & drive flange today, as the splines on all of them were shot.
The old driveshaft had just one long spring at the UJ end, but the new driveshaft also has a short spring that fits inside the other end, where I guess it presses against the pinion nut.
I can't see that short spring in my Clymer manual, but it looked original so I fitted it.
Driveline slack & vibration is much improved now, but I still have a few engine vibes around 2000 to 2500 rpms, whether accelerating or decelerating, or even if I just blip the throttle while not moving.

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Asp wrote:Changed the driveshaft, final drive & drive flange today, as the splines on all of them were shot.
The old driveshaft had just one long spring at the UJ end, but the new driveshaft also has a short spring that fits inside the other end, where I guess it presses against the pinion nut.
I can't see that short spring in my Clymer manual, but it looked original so I fitted it.
Driveline slack & vibration is much improved now, but I still have a few engine vibes around 2000 to 2500 rpms, whether accelerating or decelerating, or even if I just blip the throttle while not moving.

The short spring is a damper spring and needs to be there. I had to renew mine as the old one went for a walkabout in the garage and I have yet to find it. The new damper spring is much better, the 31 year old spring had lost some of its dampening properties.

Did you check the pinion shaft for any movement? I also had to change the pinion shaft bearing as well.

Cheers

Ernest

Asp

Postby Asp » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:12 pm

The new pinion bearing was good, the old one not so good.
I now have 2 more (expensive) issues. Head gasket leaking water into front left cylinder & clutch slip near top of rev range.
Theres no problem keeping the revs down as I rarely venture over 5000rpms but I'll definitely need to sort that head gasket soon.
Looking at the old invoices that came with the bike both head gaskets were changed mid 2013, at 82k (about 18k miles ago), along with water pump, thermostat & cam belts.

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:36 pm

Have read a lot of the posts on the various forums about the cutch on these bikes. One issue is the sprague clutch and how it gets "gummed" up from infrequent oil changes. WingAdmin suggests, as do others, to do a flush of the oil system with ATF, SeaFoam, and such. Lots of info on this and other forums regarding this. Try this a few times and see what transpires. I have also read that a good bleed of the clutch fluid helps, as does a rebuild of the clutch MC and slave.

I am bringing my '85 LTD back to a maintenance level I like and rebuild of all the MCs and clutch slave are part of it. After 31 years can't hurt.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:44 pm

Further to my last, the issue I read about with regards to the clutch slave is that the cutch rod lifter may not fully engage or release because of a weak clutch slave spring and/or being "gummed" up from years of use and possibly less than adequate flushing off the clutch fluid on a regular basis. Just another thought on the issue. Cheers

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”