Inner Rear Fender Problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Richard007
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda GL 1200 Interstate

Inner Rear Fender Problem

Postby Richard007 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:08 pm

Hello to all...I need help. Recently I took all the fairing and rear fender off of my 1984 GL 1200 Interstate in order to repaint it. I should have taken a lot of pics in the process to help put everything back like it was...but sadly,...I didn't. I am having a heck of a time figuring out where the inner rear fender goes and what it is attached to. The rear fender of this bike is composed of three different pieces...1. the inner front, the top cowl, and the lic plate holder piece which anchors to the cowl. I cannot figure out where or how the front inner fender goes...it is located immediately behind the gas tank with only two screw holes to show where it is attached to a resistor of some sort. If anyone has pics of how this piece goes it will really be appreciated.....Thank you...I know someone has to know out there!!! I have tried all over the internet to no avail.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: Inner Rear Fender Problem

Postby julimike54 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:01 am

This is the best pic I have right now. When I get back to home I'll check if I have anything better

Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:01 am

And what was the solution?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:32 pm

Well I had hoped I had pictures from the last maintenance cycle, but no luck.

Best I could do is stick the phone under the swingarm and take this photo of left side (sorry about quality)
If you look closely there is a small red line near the top, this is pointing at a vertical clip that the plastic fender slides into (I presume other side is similar)
The 4 point red star is the backside of the upper passenger floorboard mount (just for orientation), this is an '86 Asepencade.
The lower red arrow is a tab on the plastic fender that rests on the frame at this location.

The last bit of puzzle I can add (but no picture) is there appears to be a seam in the fender, at the top of the rear tire. This appears to be where the lower fender meets the painted upper rear fender. There is a fastener (square nut)/plate here that seems to be attaching the painted upper & the lower plastic fenders together and as best I can tell it is screwed to the piece of hex that is used to attach the trunk support. Looking at my first picture it's about the center of passenger grab bar, just below that. In that picture you can see the blue fender to the right and the black lower fender to the left of that piece of hex stock. Looking from the bottom it appears that the lower fender is positioned above the upper painted rear fender at this fastener location. This would help keep water out, due to tire rotation.

If the other side is not similar, let me know & I'll try to get better intel.

The only other info is this link with a parts break down
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1986-honda-gold-wing-aspencade-gl1200a-rear-fender/o/m151678sch36955
Mike

Richard007
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda GL 1200 Interstate

Postby Richard007 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:58 pm

julimike54 wrote:Well I had hoped I had pictures from the last maintenance cycle, but no luck.

Best I could do is stick the phone under the swingarm and take this photo of left side (sorry about quality)
If you look closely there is a small red line near the top, this is pointing at a vertical clip that the plastic fender slides into (I presume other side is similar)
The 4 point red star is the backside of the upper passenger floorboard mount (just for orientation), this is an '86 Asepencade.
The lower red arrow is a tab on the plastic fender that rests on the frame at this location.

The last bit of puzzle I can add (but no picture) is there appears to be a seam in the fender, at the top of the rear tire. This appears to be where the lower fender meets the painted upper rear fender. There is a fastener (square nut)/plate here that seems to be attaching the painted upper & the lower plastic fenders together and as best I can tell it is screwed to the piece of hex that is used to attach the trunk support. Looking at my first picture it's about the center of passenger grab bar, just below that. In that picture you can see the blue fender to the right and the black lower fender to the left of that piece of hex stock. Looking from the bottom it appears that the lower fender is positioned above the upper painted rear fender at this fastener location. This would help keep water out, due to tire rotation.

If the other side is not similar, let me know & I'll try to get better intel.

The only other info is this link with a parts break down
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1986-honda-gold-wing-aspencade-gl1200a-rear-fender/o/m151678sch36955
Thank you for the inner fender information it was very helpful and at last I was able to piece everything together. Thanks again and...safe travels.

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:12 pm

You're welcome. Thanks and you have safe travels also!

Mike

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”