Replacing pads on rear caliper

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Replacing pads on rear caliper

Postby SilverDave » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Well, the pins are all clean, and re-sized to 5.97mm, the caliber is pretty clean ( for a rear, which gets all sorts of road crap kicked up at it)
and the pistons look fairly clean, too.
I could not push the pistons in with my thumbs, but with a small piece of hardwood, and twin C-clamps , they are going in , slowly, but quite smoothly .

I could not find it in either one of my manuals, but I thought I read somewhere, that if they go in, with C-clamps, without hanging up..
"slowly, but smoothly" ...
..... then they are good enough to use as they are ???

True or False ??

Rest of caliber looks quite new, after a cleanup .
New pads are sitting in the box, and I am awaiting mounting of new rear tire .....

SilverDave

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Re: Replacing pads on rear caliper

Postby twocams » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:57 pm

if the old pads are wearing close to the same thickness. I would go ahead and use the caliper as is. They are going to be hard to push back into the caliper. Your working against hydraulics and metal to metal contact. No leaks good rubbers....usem.

twocams

Rapter
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 IH INTERSTATE

Postby Rapter » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:15 am

Hi there, new to forum, bought 1st wing Sept just gone.

Did my rear on Friday. Hellovajob returning pistons in, but they were persuaded .. eventually.
Now as twocams said .. usem .. but a note of caution, no long runs or high speed chases . Bed the pads in and WATCH FLUID LEVEL . easiest way to detect a leak what with all the gear on the bike.
No stranger to 80's machinery, and my buddy (rides a Duke and a Triumph Trident for his sins) and I were both of the opinion this was the best way, as the rear caliper is so hidden.

Keep the rubber dawn, with God's grace.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:57 am

Did you put a smear of brake fluid on the seals and the pistons before trying to push them in?

cheers
:)

Rapter
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 IH INTERSTATE

Postby Rapter » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:26 am

Hi Aussie811
To be honest I didn't.
We were undertaking a few jobs that day and the rear was the last on the list.
Once the movement had started pushing the pistons back in. progress was good.
No obvious leak at this time, but work has forced bike to garage until I get time to test ride.
Unfortunately the previous owner had neglected the rear pads, I guess it was too involved a job (luggage n lights in the way). They had to be done immediately.

A seal kit will be ordered and if any sign of weeping bike stays home till that's done.

Having re read your post: - the pistons weren't out of their housing so seals not visible. Are you suggesting I should have poped them out and re seated them?

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:22 am

One of the main reasons I would want to pop out the pistons would be to replace the old seals - and clean all the crap out of the seal grooves and from behind the pistons in the body of the caliper. The sides of the pistons can be pitted causing leaks and also they get a build up of scum from moisture/dust etc that can cause them to bind, and also not retract properly. With new seals they will work better for you.

The seal itself deforms when the pedal/lever is pushed forcing the pistons against pads against the discs - with old seals they do not deform as easily as they are hard, and do not retract as well either.

If you have new seal kits on the way then all good. Show them some love - they will love you back...when needed. :)

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:49 pm

Another reason to pop out the pistons is to give the caliper a good cleaning, blow out the caliper orifices, and clean out the loose bits that you will find in the caliper. If you do pop out the pistons, put an old brake pad against the bake pads and pump the brake pedal until the pistons are almost out. One piston will extend at a time. Good DIY tutorial on a 1500 here by WingAdmin, but applies to the 1200 as well. Make sure you remove, clean, and lube the pivot pin of the caliper. If this pin is not free to move, brakes can bind, and wear will be uneven. I had to drive mine out and replace.

As an aside, if you had to persuade the pistons to move with quite a bit of force, it's best to take apart and clean - will pay off in the long term. You do not want the rear brake, or fronts for that matter, to be binding and giving you grief. A 1/2 hour to an hour job for years of trouble free riding.

Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”