What parts should I replace/repair?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
crimsonwing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I Interstate

What parts should I replace/repair?

Postby crimsonwing » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:56 am

Hey all, I might have finally found a mechanic who is willing to work on my 84 interstate. I ran the fuel tank dry on the highway and she will hardly ever start now. I did a number on the fuel system i'm sure, so I wanted this new mechanic to replace my air filter,fuel filter, fuel pump and clean my carbs, possibly just rebuild them. That being said, I think i need new gaskets, as I have a major oil leak and I have to put more oil in every week or so. I also don't know when the timing belt was last replaced. Now my first question is, If I get my carbs cleaned/ rebuild, would replacing the gaskets and timing belts be a good idea for saving labor costs and time?(assuming you take those parts off anyway to replace the timing belts and gaskets) Or are those repairs "out of the way" and I can just get them done another time? I'm willing to drop at least $700 for repairs no problem. Question number two! where can I purchase the replacement filters and fuel pump locally? I'm too impatient to wait for online orders, I need my baby up and running ASAP! I don't care if they are original honda replacements or thirdparty/aftermarket, as long as they are practical and functional. Big thanks in advance to all you!! :D

thompsoj22
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200I

Re: What parts should I replace/repair?

Postby thompsoj22 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:24 am

"CAUTION" dont have an unknown mech start with a carb rebuild on your bike. start him out simple and see how he performs. I use ebay for parts and simply ask here before pulling the trigger. your question as to what parts cant be answered "sight unseen", post some history, photos, video with sound of it running. in regards to the fuel pump, start the bike on the center stand and place your hand on the fuel pump housing, does it pulse once every few seconds? if so leave it alone. i would suspect it based on the fact that you ran out of gas and did its best to keep pressure to the carbs with no fuel and was pulsing like a 50 cal in Helmond. Start your new mech with a simple air, fuel and oil filter change.Im guessing your oil leak as valve/rocker cover gaskets so let him do that also. Ask to watch while he works and see how "aware" he is of the bike, does he know where and how to access the parts to be replaced? and is he patient. if he passes the test than start throwing money his way. Carb rebuild is probably the most critical rebuild on the bike and not to be trusted to someone that hasnt been proven reliable/knowledgeable. yea i know, i have trust issues.

crimsonwing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby crimsonwing » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:20 pm

thanks for your reply thompsoj22, I think everything yous said is great advice, and no you don't have trust issues lol you are just tactfully cautious haha. so I had my brother come over because he is a master tech car mechanic, I figured his help is better than nothing and he said my oil leak is due to the valve cover gasket going bad, you were spot on!! haha. that being said he diagnosed the problem and it turns out I have a bad alternator. i'm sure that will be less than new carbs haha. should I order one on ebay? or is there a more trust worthy website?

thompsoj22
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200I

Postby thompsoj22 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:09 am

others will advise you on the stator, Ricks will probably be your most reliable choice and throw a regulator/rectifier at it to complete the system. i havent been faced with the stator issue yet but when it happens ill stay stock and pull the motor. understand ill do all the work myself and it will be a pita! but i like factory/stock repairs. the alternator kit you refer to is an option but requires modification and you will need help. the motor stays in place however and the new charging system will be external and much easier to maintain.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”