Engine Vibration

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
5str48
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Engine Vibration

Postby 5str48 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:59 pm

I know this is vague, but I have an irritating (and worrisome) vibration coming from the engine, getting progressively worse. I can feel it through the handlebars, footpeg, seat, etc. It is definitely the engine, not wheel bearings. Could faulty carburetion be a possible cause? Any thoughts would help. Ignition seems to be okay, as engine is relatively smooth at lower RPMs.

MRGONE
Motorcycle: GL1200 STANDARD 1984
GL1200 ASPENCADE 1986

Re: Engine Vibration

Postby MRGONE » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:32 am

High there Lenny from the UK here,
My Aspen 86 had a vibration problem about 12 years ago (just a few months after i bought it)
This was the problem : You need to be riding it so you are putting the bike under load rather than just revving it on the stand).
At around 1800 to 2200 RPM the engine will vibrate and the vibration can be felt through the handle bars, now if you wind the throttle on until you reach about over 2500 -3000 RPM and see if the vibration goes as it did on mine.

The cure well i'm afraid it was an engine out job ,i replaced the alternator drive unit with a new one and that was the end of it.

I have an 84 Standard with the same problem so i'm thinking of doing the job again ;"Hence" how i came across your post, i know on some forum i've read that some guy had the problem and cured it without replacing the alternator drive unit,(i think he just reset it as because when you install the alternator drive unit ,it needs to be set up at three equal positions 120 degrees apart and with a clearance of 0.002" on these points using a dial indicator , see HAYNES MANUAL 2199 chapter 9 31 in electrical (near the back of the manual)
CLYMER Manual starting on page 85.
Don't despair it's not as bad as it sounds (i was new to wings when i did mine)
Best Regards Len.

PS, after a few months ago after i did this the Alternator stator went, engine out again ,
if not already done so i would advise checking the spade connector plug under the dummy tank where the three Yellow wires from the stator plug into for signs of burning, i chopped it out and soldered the wires together ,also the three yellow wire conector near the battery

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”