List of ailments

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
kingNut
Motorcycle: GL1200LTD

List of ailments

Postby kingNut » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:39 pm

1200ltd not ridden in perhaps 8 years. After the second year of sitting the front forks leaked. Prior to that I rode it and had to jump it to get back home. Since it was getting cold (end of riding season) I did not bother it for the next two summers. Now presented with time and Clymer manual I feel the urge to do something about it. The brake light stayed on the panel on the last start after that last ride. The trunk suffers with hairline cracks around the hinge screws and securing bolts. Finally the lip of the trunk lid is split something awesome 4-5 inches.
I will read up on some more info to help determine where to start. Welcome any and all advice.
kingNut

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Re: List of ailments

Postby twocams » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:34 pm

8 yrs is a long time. Did you leave gas in the tank and carbs? If so they need to be all taken apart and cleaned. Need fresh gas,a new battery, new tires. There getting old and rotten. Check the charging system once running to keep your new battery happy. :D Change the oil, timing belts, radiator hoses/coolant.......and :?:

twocams

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:17 pm

the 1200 ltd is a fuel injected model, so carb problems it wont have. and has a few more whistles and bells than the interstate or aspys. after 8 years of sitting around it would be prudent to do a check of everything I think. pen and paper, and start at the front or back, and write down everything you see that may need attention. things like brake pads, brake and clutch and radiator fluids, forks, tires, battery, brake and clutch operation etc.

If the clymer manual has a maintenance schedule, this may give some ideas about what to check.

good luck,

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Postby twocams » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Thanks oldish, I keep forgetting about those fuel injected few.

twocams

kingNut

Postby kingNut » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:06 pm

Thanks 'Twocams' and 'Oldishwinger'. Appreciate the direction you have thrown me in. Work, health, retirement and another bike were all contributing factors for the 8 year hiatas. Like I stated the last ride on the wing was very uncertain as to whether it will conk out on me and not start away from home. So I retired it for that season. The next year I contemplated doing something about it when I noticed new (leaky front forks and brake light not going out on instr. panel). Since my summer enthusiasm was shot I went back to work and a couple years later got another bike and kinda turned my back on the faithful wing. My bad.
But now I want to revitalize this 31yr. old. I hope to do as much as I could manage on my own. Fluids, fliters, tires, bulbs/fuses/battery, good cleaning to uncover any hidden effects from that long sleep. Also on that list is a flush of gas tank. I remember adding stabil to my gas back then. Still have to inspect and determine what electrical problem caused my doubts in the first place and why the brake light refused to go out back then. Hope parts are not an issue.
Even though it has been garage kept my weather is not helping me get to it any time soon (rain, cold and blustery). Hope it does not run into summer riding since I get very little of it (4-5 months per). Will keep posted. Meanwhile I'll get back to some more reading forum/manuals.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:31 pm

kingNut wrote:Thanks 'Twocams' and 'Oldishwinger'. Appreciate the direction you have thrown me in. Work, health, retirement and another bike were all contributing factors for the 8 year hiatas. Like I stated the last ride on the wing was very uncertain as to whether it will conk out on me and not start away from home. So I retired it for that season. The next year I contemplated doing something about it when I noticed new (leaky front forks and brake light not going out on instr. panel). Since my summer enthusiasm was shot I went back to work and a couple years later got another bike and kinda turned my back on the faithful wing. My bad.
But now I want to revitalize this 31yr. old. I hope to do as much as I could manage on my own. Fluids, fliters, tires, bulbs/fuses/battery, good cleaning to uncover any hidden effects from that long sleep. Also on that list is a flush of gas tank. I remember adding stabil to my gas back then. Still have to inspect and determine what electrical problem caused my doubts in the first place and why the brake light refused to go out back then. Hope parts are not an issue.
Even though it has been garage kept my weather is not helping me get to it any time soon (rain, cold and blustery). Hope it does not run into summer riding since I get very little of it (4-5 months per). Will keep posted. Meanwhile I'll get back to some more reading forum/manuals.

I wish you well in your endeavors to get the wing back up and running. When I brought mine she was a bit of a mess, and although there where times I almost threw it in because stuff to get fixed seemed never ending, the one endearing thing was that bike responded positively to everything I did. The bike I have now has made the effort so worth while. good luck

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:50 am

Well... compared to the front forks ( seals ) and the timing belts ... the cracks are " easy " to repair ..
( Just did similar repair mine on my '85 about 14 months ago. )

Get a fibreglass kit ( Resin , activator and cloth )
Get a JB Weld kit ( Black, 2 component )..... Its very very strong !!

Cut some glass strips that will over cover the crack and along the hinges .
I removed my top and both hinges first, and "clamped it down " with ropes and tape to close as much of the gap as possible .

My cracks were on back and bottom , out of sight, so " Black " was a good colour for me .
Rough sand along edges of cracks and breaks, to remove the paint, and get down to the black resin part .

Mix up some JB weld .
Fill cracks and breaks with JB weld . Lay it right over the hinge holes .. they can be bored out later.
Let it cure . Repeat , if necessary .

Cover the cured JB welds with strips of Glass cloth ( on inside of trunk ?) for additional reinforcement, against furthur breakage .
Add activated resin ( to smooth over the repairs). Smooth the glass, and repeat . and possibly again
If you do a good job here ( Wet finger ? ) then no furthur sanding is necessary .

Paint if desired .. Rebore screw holes . Re-attach the lid and hinges .

My repairs were all inside , and on bottom, so I just replaced the top box floor mat , and I was done.

Have fun .
The Timing belts will take you much much longer .

LOL

SilverDave

kingNut

Postby kingNut » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Thanks a heep ''SilverDave".
I see you hide out further to the north so you might kinda understand me. Well here it is. I got my LTD with 000004 miles on it. Then I did not know, no make that appreciate that what I had would last this long. It was my second bike but my first fully dressed touring bike. Well (and I am taking full responsibility) because of shortness of season riding I used my bike as an all purpose vehicle. To work, to the store and for play I did it all on the goldwing. So I was at fault for the over weight and stresses on the trunk. Now I know better. So when it was time to use it solely for touring on much longer trips I was dissappointed with the noticeable ailments. So I garaged it and a couple years later made a better deal of thing with my third cycle.
All that said I have been reading several forums/threads/and manuals. Your repair job sounds doable if I had the skillset. I still want to keep in play a replacement or salvage. I don't want to undertake more than I can handle and still have riding time for myself. But your solution in on my list now. Thanks again.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:04 pm

LOL
I ALSO use my " Beautiful" wing as a truck : To the store, groceries, to Home depot .....
but ...
Sadly ....
What wrecked the trunk was a longish trip to Alaska, and back by the dreaded Cassier-Kityonga connector ( which was a hellish road.... is no longer )

Believe me, the trunk repair that I described is MUCH easier than changing the front oil/seals on the front shocks ( or the timing belts )

The shocks are held in with hex-headed bolts ( Supposed to be 24 ft-lbs ) which on mine were at least 80 ft lbs .( Tightened by a gorilla , in the distant past , I think )

And there is no space in there to loosen the bolts, or for your hands ,
so you need a long " Stubby " hex wrench and an extension bar of some sort.
And the top bolts were about the same ... super tight !!

and after all that ... its easy ..... new seals, new oil, and replace .... no problem .

LOL

LOL LOL

SilverDave

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Since it is a FI system and has been stored for a considerable amount of time, make sure you run some sort of injector cleaner through the fuel system for a number of times. Even though it is not a carb model, it is still prone to the same issues if not more so than a carb model, and harder to clean out.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

kingNut

Postby kingNut » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:51 pm

SilverDave wrote:LOL
I ALSO use my " Beautiful" wing as a truck : To the store, groceries, to Home depot .....
but ...
Sadly ....
What wrecked the trunk was a longish trip to Alaska, and back by the dreaded Cassier-Kityonga connector ( which was a hellish road.... is no longer )
LOL LOL
SilverDave

When I read this I knew I was on the right forum . . . . and smiled.

Rednaxs60 wrote:Since it is a FI system and has been stored for a considerable amount of time, make sure you run some sort of injector cleaner through the fuel system for a number of times. Even though it is not a carb model, it is still prone to the same issues if not more so than a carb model, and harder to clean out.

Cheers

Yes and my list keeps getting longer. Sunshine today after an overnight snow but in the lower 30's all day. Towards the end of next week I will probably start my approach. I an going to start simple and work my way to the more difficult.

1. Wash clean-up for complete inspection.
2. Revise list if needed.
3. Prepare shopping list of lubricants, filters, fueses/bulbs ect.
4. Belts, tires and heavier stuff come later including battery.
5. I had put on a new windshield and leather grips just before my last ride so I will see how the sheild held up.

Everything beyond 5 I will work on it the order I stumble on them again with the easiest first. I figure after fluids and filters changes and if started with the help here I will better be able to evaluate my next steps. There are no plans to ride it this season but would certainly smile if I could get it running after all these years.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:44 am

If by 'belts' you mean timing belts you are going to do later (along with tires). I wouldn't do that on either rubber item. Rubber in these will dry rot over time. Tire failure will lead to a problem. Belt failure will lead to a damaged engine, these are zero clearance engines. Belt breaks while engine is running will lead to a piston(s) hitting valves, something will break.

Just an FYI

Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”