Should i change the timing belts by myself?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
crimsonwing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I Interstate

Should i change the timing belts by myself?

Postby crimsonwing » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:25 am

my poorboy full kit finally arrived, and im doing timing belts while im at it. im not going to have the help i thought i was so im considering changing the belts myself. in the DIY video steve insists that changing the belts should not be anyone's first fix er up job, and prior experience should be had, and this will be my first fix job for sure, so i'm a little intimidated. that being said, i've spent the last two weeks straight watching the video, over and over and over again along with reading many different threads and my cylmer manual. so, big question, DO Y'ALL THINK I GOT WHAT IT TAKES?!?!?! im willing to spend an entire day just doing the belts if i need to, taking my time and making sure everything is right. how long does it usually take? how do you get the right "tension" on the belts. I honestly feel like im scared only because i cant stand the idea of anything happening to my baby if i were to mess up, but i think i have all the knowledge i need to do the job. Anyhow im gonna start first thing in the morning so hopefully i get some responses by then, thanks!!

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Re: Should i change the timing belts by myself?

Postby Maz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:19 am

If you have a basic knowledge of the engine layout and how it works, then YES.....DO IT! Step by step, double check everything and always turn the engine over by hand to ensure no valves are hitting pistons etc before hitting the starter button.
Out of interest, this was the very first job I carried out on my GL1000 when I got it. I had worked on many bikes, but not a GL, but the job went very smoothly and, with all the double-checking etc, took 2 hours.

Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:33 am

I think everyone has the capability of doing this job. IT is time consuming the fist time, and there is always some form of self doubt when doing it.

But it is a process.
Get all the tools and equipment you need and write a list for each step. Cross them off as you go - then reassemble the opposite way.

I did mine on the GL1100 Interstate - I had lots of thinking - enough to give me a headache - but I eventually stopped thinking and it all went perfectly from there on.

I would stress that before turning the key and trying to start the bike after reassembly - you turn the motor over by hand several times - to make sure there is nothing hitting or jamming up - then you know you have everything back in the right place.

cheers

:)

crimsonwing

Postby crimsonwing » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:59 am

thanks guys, and here i go!!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:31 pm

And don't forget, remove all the spark plugs before trying to turn it over by hand!! Once you have made 3 or 4 full revolutions by hand without any issues, then you can recheck everything, install new spark plugs and try to start it!! Most people I know are too lazy to remove the plugs and it makes it much harder to rotate the engine!!

Gary

crimsonwing

Postby crimsonwing » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:20 pm

hey all so i called about 6 different autopars stores and none of them have any of the compatible timing belts. they DO however say that the gates T070 has "crossed" to a dayco 95070. should i use it? its the only one they all seem to have in stock.

tbeiler
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo

Postby tbeiler » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:52 pm

Or try Napa auto parts, their part number is 250070. I jsut picked up some yesterday for the new to me LTD.
I did mine first go on the 86 Aspy this past winter with no experience, the Clymer manual and utube vids help a lot too. Its not that difficult. Think positive and get on with it.
Check everything many times along the way if you are unsure. Make sure to mark (magic marker or paint stick) the crankshaft and housing when you are at T1, this way you don't have to always look at the T1 mark if crank moves slightly. Clean up all the dust and gunk once you get the cover off the bike.
When you are at T1 both cam pulleys will be facing with the UP mark in the 12 oclock position, then check the pulley and housing dimples line up at 3 oclock position (looking to back of bike) for the LH side belt (as sitting on bike) and at 9 oclock position (looking to back of bike) for the RH side belt (as sitting on bike).
Go for it man.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”