1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Postby walker70 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:58 am

Hello all,just joined the forum,have just got myself an 86 Goldwing Aspencade,was wondering if I could get some advice about the bike,it runs decent when warmed up but the idle is jumpy,person who had it before me had left old gas in it,was thinking the carbs need a good cleaning,if any one here has any other ideas I could use the advice,thanks so much.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:29 pm

hi welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new to you bike. Before stripping the carbs, try a cleaner in a tank of gas, it may be all it needs, I think its called seafoam in your neck of the woods. also a new set of plugs can do wonders, make sure the throttle isnt sticking, oil the cables if needed.

walker70

Postby walker70 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:17 am

Hi,thanks for the info,I already got the plugs but was not sure about using seafoam,will give them a try,I have had a Honda Nighthawk 700sc so I wanted to go back to Honda after owning a Buell Firebolt,thought a Goldwing would be a good fit now,but also bought it in memory of my late wife Nancy who loved riding with me. :D

walker70

Postby walker70 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:10 am

Hello again,just curious about something,in getting this bike I knew it was going to have few issues,one of them being to start with I could not get the air shocks to work,the buttons seemed to be stuck,finally got them free but I still think something is not quite right,the air pressure indicator only shows on the dash and it will not show the temp reading on the dash,I know when you release the buttons it should go right back to reading the coolant temp,was thinking maybe the switches are bad somehow,does the engine have be at a certain temp before it will show on the guage,also when should the fan kick on,been around bikes all my life but this is a new animal to me,any advice,thanks,Gary.

thompsoj22
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200I

Postby thompsoj22 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:50 am

congrats on the bike, its sure to be one of your favorites. since the bike has been sitting, give it time in all areas and ride it/use it. the electrical glitches could work themselves out on their own or stay non functional and you'll know what to address first. its probably to late but run the carb cleaner through with the old plugs and than install the new ones. if you want to know when the fan comes on, put the bike on the center stand and start her up than use your throttle to hold 2k rpm until the fan cycles on and off. hey this is a fantastic forum and essential to owning/maintain g a 30 year old bike. also if your abilities allow i recommend starting with handlebar electrical switches, disassemble, clean, apply dielectric and assemble. simply stated start at the top/front and work your way through every connector/switch on the bike.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:09 am

If it was me the first switch I'd work on is the 'air psi' vs 'coolant temp.' switch! Very important to know what the coolant is doing, too hot will not be good. You are correct that when looking at air suspension pressure and release the switch, the coolant should show up immediately, there is no lag.

The fan comes on based on the temp switch that operates it (unless PO has bypassed with a manual switch). As a reference, I started mine on a 70 degree day, using the choke to maintain about a 1000 rpm (+/- 100) it took about 16 minutes to reach four bars and the fan switched on shortly after the fourth bar appeared (about a minute later).

When you try the air pump switch do you hear the comp. run? If not you could have a few things going on or it could be that the decrease switch is stuck in the 'on' position, the coolant won't display while either the front or rear selector switch is depressed. Is the display showing either one? If so that switch needs to be fixed. I seem to remember that somewhere I read that the switch can be taken apart cleaned & lubed.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:00 pm

julimike54 wrote:If it was me the first switch I'd work on is the 'air psi' vs 'coolant temp.' switch! Very important to know what the coolant is doing, too hot will not be good. You are correct that when looking at air suspension pressure and release the switch, the coolant should show up immediately, there is no lag.

The fan comes on based on the temp switch that operates it (unless PO has bypassed with a manual switch). As a reference, I started mine on a 70 degree day, using the choke to maintain about a 1000 rpm (+/- 100) it took about 16 minutes to reach four bars and the fan switched on shortly after the fourth bar appeared (about a minute later).

When you try the air pump switch do you hear the comp. run? If not you could have a few things going on or it could be that the decrease switch is stuck in the 'on' position, the coolant won't display while either the front or rear selector switch is depressed. Is the display showing either one? If so that switch needs to be fixed. I seem to remember that somewhere I read that the switch can be taken apart cleaned & lubed.

yep the temp guage not coming on will be the increase and decrease buttons sticking. In behind the increase and decrease buttons is an air switch with two small buttons that depress and its probably these that are sticking. the switch can be removed and cleaned

walker70

Postby walker70 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:08 am

Hello,I do hear the compressor when it kicks in,I am going to try to clean up the switches,also the fan did kick in by letting the bike run and I also ran the seafoam thru the carbs and it seems to be clearing things up in that area,also I noticed a shake in the front wheel a couple of times at around 25-30 mph but I think that may be an out of balance tire or something that's an easy fix,I had this problem with my 84 Nighthawk,other than that the bike is coming along,oh by the way can someone tell how to upload photos to this sight,thanks for all the help,Gary.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:43 am

Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:19 am

I found two or 3 applications of Seafoam , or Marvels Mystery oil are usually needed to clean the carbs .. So I usually do that with several half tanks of gas .
Once you've got it running fairly well, there is an interesting thing called a high rpm tuneup: Just run around for an hour in third , and it will definitely clean out the upper chamber/valves, etc

As long as you have MMO or Seafoam, and its sorta running ... two "glugs" of MMO in the oil, run for a 100+ or so, and change the oil/filter. Horrible , yucky stuff will come out with the old oil

And since its spring ,and since its a damn heavy bike to push start ...
If I were you, I'd take the battery right out , and take it to a battery shop ( Not a motorcycle shop ) and have it properly load tested .. and possibly replaced .. and clean up all the connections at the battery ..

It might be enough to " Kick start " the pressure/temp switch ..

Have you checked the " Three Yellow Stator wires " yet ?

SilverDave

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”