New water pump leak

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Smaltz79
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate

New water pump leak

Postby Smaltz79 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:34 pm

New to the forum. recently replaced my water pump on my 84 interstate. have only driven a few miles 3 times, but smell coolant and have found 1 small drip 2 times. i followed the instruction precisely by Steve Saunders but feel i have a leak out of the weep hole. i used vaseline to lube the two o rings. Could i have rolled one when inserting it in?

Second question is when i bought the recommend kit it did not have the small o ring for the dowel, nor did have one on the #4 dowel when i removed it.

Do i need to buy a new kit and start over? The recommend Kit mention on the forum did not have one

Last question what is the best oil to use?

thompsoj22
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200I

Re: New water pump leak

Postby thompsoj22 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:23 am

i havent done my water pump yet but i would give it a good ride close to the house in the event it starts pissing. if it's coming out the weep hole id say its not based upon anything you did during assy. it would be the impeller shaft seal which comes pre installed correct? an error in assy on your part could be a water pump housing/cover leak or a leak allowing coolant to enter the crankcase. a drop or two shouldent be happening but i would not tear it apart without at least 100 "close to the house" miles.

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:26 pm

i haven't done my water pump but I do recall reading somewhere that the small o ring you mentioned is not part of the kit. But it does need to be there...

Smaltz79
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate

Postby Smaltz79 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:44 pm

ill order an o ring separately. im going to tear it apart again put in new rings and gasket, but this time with a little high temperature gasket silicone. it was not leaking in the 1st place but it runs a little warm in texas. it originally had a blow head gasket 3 years ago and i changed out the gasket and the head. Still ran a little warm. so i spent $1000 dollars on OEM parts. Haven't changed my gaskets out because of work, But now that i have experience in removing the pump ill try again. Lucky that i left all the lower and the tank off so it will go a little quicker. it never had that o ring in the first place. Live & Learn

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:17 pm

If it's running "a little warm", you should make sure you're running 50/50 mix anti freeze, you could also try a slightly cooler t-stat. Make sure the cooling fan is working. You could double check the temp sending unit for accuracy. Also check the over flow plumbing for cracks, can make the system suck in air that won't cool as well as anti freeze,

Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”