fuel/carb problems?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Mha8649
Motorcycle: 84 gl1200I

fuel/carb problems?

Postby Mha8649 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:23 pm

Well, several hundred dollars later and still something is wrong.

I took the bike to the shop because the left rear carb was leaking fuel onto the left exhaust pipe. They called and said the bike was good to go and I picked it up and brought it home. later that night I tried to start the bike and it poured half the tank onto my garage floor. So back she went a month later they called and said the fuel leak was fixed but the bike now only ran off of two cylinders? wth. So they wanted to make sure I was willing to pay for them to fix it when they caused the problem. I paid anyways, then got the bike back two weeks later. Turned out they ran a wire the wrong way and when the bike was turned full left it was pulling the wires apart. So I picked it up last night and drove it home it doesn't have the power it used to have and the front right carb was ice cold while the other three were hot and when she was sitting there running the right exhaust pipe was pouring out fuel. I don't want to take the bike back to them so I'm trying to fix it myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. It's a 1984 gl1200i Sorry forgot to put that in.

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: fuel/carb problems?

Postby wingman12 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:10 pm

mha8649 welcome to this wonderful website. You can get just about any information you need here. It sounds like you have stuck floats in your carbs. Has the bike been sitting for a year or so? Is this bike new to you? If you look in the "how-do articles " above you can locate how to rebuild your carbs. Good luck and I am sure better qualified persons will also respond to your request for information. Please keep us updated with your results and solution. :D :D

Mha8649
Motorcycle: 84 gl1200I

Postby Mha8649 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:46 pm

Thank you wingman12 for the response. The first time I took the bike to the shop was because the back left carb was leaking fuel so they rebuilt all four carbs then. I picked it up then and the small black air tube between the left carbs was pouring out fuel. I tapped on the bottom of the carbs and it stopped leaking out of the air vent tube and started leaking from the back left carb bowl. So back she went. That's when they called saying the fuel leak was fixed and she was now only running off of to cylinders. So I told them to go ahead and fix that. Apparently the person who owned the bike did some work and ran the wires going to the ignitor wrong and when the bike was turned to the left it pulled on the wires and caused a short.
So that was fixed. So after I picked that up is when I rode the bike home and noticed the power loss and sever hesitation. I tried to call them today and they didn't answer. I tapped the bottom of the front right carb "the cold one" and she seemed to be idling better. Not sure if the problem is solved as it is raining cats and dogs here in Dayton, ohio. I will take her out hopefully tomorrow and all will be well. Fingers crossed.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Sun May 01, 2016 2:47 am

I may be wrong here, but it sounds very much like the people who have worked on the wing so far, have no idea or interest in working on these bikes. As your carbs are still leaking, it's a safe bet that they have NOT been rebuilt properly. It definitely sounds like your floats are sticking and, if the carbs are not stripped again to check what has or hasn't been done, you run the risk of hydrolocking the motor with the excess fuel leaking past the float valves.
Maz

Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”