Windscreen for '86 GL1200 I?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
gemotra
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

Windscreen for '86 GL1200 I?

Postby gemotra » Wed May 11, 2016 6:23 pm

My (original) windscreen is crazed to the point of being effectively opaque when riding into the sun. I decided to replace it this spring only to find that the OEM part (64100-MG9-772) is no longer available from the manufacturer. Can anyone recommend a decent, well-fitting after-market alternative? Failing that, is there a tried and true way to restore a crazed windscreen?

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Re: Windscreen for '86 GL1200 I?

Postby Rusty Bike » Wed May 11, 2016 6:50 pm

There is a bunch of windshields on Ebay. Prefect fit, who knows! It's just plastic, easy to work with. You could probably get some Lexan or Plexiglas and fab one up. Forget restoring the old one, junk...Rusty

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sat May 14, 2016 10:05 am

I installed a " Slipstreamer Tall " about 13 years ago Its still mostly "uncrazed "

..... but the best part , aside from the fact that I al also "tall"

is the look of this old bike from the side : OEM windshields were short and stubby and curved up a bit .
The Slipstreamer (and many other "Talls ", I assume) follows the gentle curve of the fairing instead , and continues this curve back, and up giving a totally different look to the the GoldWing.

I've had many people ask " What did you do to your Wing ?? "

The only negative is if the 'shield is properly waxed ( Lemon Pledge ? ) then rain slowly rides up, and over the top square edge.... and drops onto the radio, and my lap ... agh!!!. I am not afraid to ride in the rain... so.....

The fix is about 8 ft of 1/4 inch tygon tubing from Home Depot ( about $3) carefully split and applied to this square edge.
Rain drops slide down the side and drops off onto the road !!!

SilverDave

gemotra
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

Postby gemotra » Sat May 14, 2016 2:07 pm

Thanks, Dave, for your input. I eventually did find an online outfit with an OEM windscreen for $407 (without the side screens) and have begun to look at aftermarket offerings. Will give special attention to Slipstreamer. Can I assume that the installation was straight-forward and the fit good?

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sat May 14, 2016 10:02 pm

The fit is perfect, as it is with all the aftermarket shields which are designed for any specific motorcycle ( according to all my friends who have ever replaced a shield on any Bike )
. Don't lose the tiny spacers ... they keep the garnish from crushing the shield .

On MY 1200, the shield is TALL, and WIDE ... Very nice to ride on a cool morning . I ordered one with a vent for cooler summer riding .
Small issue with mine ... its wide enough that if you try a full lock turn, the brake or clutch reservoir actually hit it. I've had it for over a dozen years , and a "full lock" turn has to be done at walking speed anyway with both feet on the ground , so.... unless its a really narrow road, I don't care .... its never been an issue .

I would have to cut it down , or remove it if I was going to enter a Top Gun Competition ... LOL.... which I am not !!

SilverDave

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Sun May 15, 2016 8:46 am

Here's a vid from the 1100 forum:

I would not paint it for those times when you want to tuck behind it. I have only put about 30 miles on my SEi, maintenance in progress, but I don't care for the OEM shield. The top is right in my line of site and I get a lot of wind buffeting. I will go shorter with the replacement. The vid shows cutting plastic shield with a soldering iron. Also, you can cut the windshield with a right angle grinder and a small cutoff wheel. No cracking and you just file the cut edge to finish.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”