Fan Sender Switch Alternative

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Breiber
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Fan Sender Switch Alternative

Postby Breiber » Thu May 12, 2016 7:01 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on a way to test the fan sending unit. Honda does not recommend a hot water bath to test. I was doing timing belts yesterday and noticed that the sender boot/harness plug has been broken and there is some exposed wire on both wires. Oddly there isn't much corrosion on the wires. I have only ridden the bike once and didn't ever hear the fan come on so I really don't know if the sender works or not. I think I have read that a sender from a early 90's geo metro will work. Can anyone here confirm that?

Thanks,

Brian

Breiber
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Fan Sender Switch Alternative

Postby Breiber » Fri May 13, 2016 11:07 pm

According to my research the sender off a geo metro will work. Regardless I don't need it. I tried testing mine in a pot of water on the stove (not recommended by Honda). That didn't work likely because I didn't get the water hot enough. So out of frustration I shamefully committed a diagnostic sin and wired up a continuity meter to the unit and slowly heated up the sensor with my propane torch. The sender works just fine (I have no idea at what temp it turns the fan on but it does work).

Next project

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”