fan temp switch mod

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
deanbw
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a aspencade . Honda xl600r, '68 z50, '82z50, '80cx500c, '00 klr250

fan temp switch mod

Postby deanbw » Wed May 18, 2016 3:53 am

Time for another one of my rambling posts. I had the temp switch go out on the bike and was able to get it home before it boiled all the water out. I thought about buying a stock switch but then thought someday they may not be available so, I got the Duralast SW648 switch and went to wrecking yard to get plug for switch. I also wanted to have a manual switch to over-ride temp switch if needed. I didn't want to butcher the stock harness so I came up with cutting the original switch apart, adding two wires for manual operation and the stock plug for the sw648 switch (fits Geo, Chevy, lincoln...lots of cars). I wanted it waterproof so I made a mold to seal wire connection.Here are some pics of the project.

switch and plug

cut stock plug open

used screws and plates(cut tabs off the one) for clamping wire ends

added wires for manual switch

assembled on switch

UHMW to make mold

mold fit and filled

molded part

rest of pics in next post, I told you it was rambling.....

Last edited by deanbw on Wed May 18, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

deanbw
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a aspencade . Honda xl600r, '68 z50, '82z50, '80cx500c, '00 klr250

Re: fan temp switch mod

Postby deanbw » Wed May 18, 2016 3:59 am

OK almost done....

my shop( machine side ) just because...

stock style plugs so it looks right

assembled on bike

and last....the over-ride switch, didn't want to drill any holes...OCD problem

It works perfectly, and now I can use stock temp switch or aftermarket

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Postby keithg64 » Wed May 18, 2016 9:46 pm

Nice looking shop and great job.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Postby keithg64 » Wed May 18, 2016 9:47 pm

Can I come over.....
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

deanbw

Postby deanbw » Thu May 19, 2016 12:10 am

keithg64 wrote:Can I come over.....

Hell yeah, that cooler in the picture holds ice cold brain juice. Come on over

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Nice looking shop Dean. I'd love to see it in person.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

deanbw

Postby deanbw » Thu May 19, 2016 12:38 pm

MikeB wrote:Nice looking shop Dean. I'd love to see it in person.

That can be arraigned, the other side is a pretty messy right now, I had to cram everything to one side to make room for the new green/yellow lathe you see. Now I have to find room for the compressor and all the shelves that were over there. I'm getting it sorted out.......slowly

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu May 19, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm not far from you, in Tacoma. Maybe we can get together some day.

Rode Chinook Pass on Tuesday as well as White and then back over Cayuse. It was a great day for a ride.

Mike
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

deanbw

Postby deanbw » Thu May 19, 2016 4:31 pm

MikeB wrote:I'm not far from you, in Tacoma. Maybe we can get together some day.

Rode Chinook Pass on Tuesday as well as White and then back over Cayuse. It was a great day for a ride.

Mike

sounds good, sounds like a nice ride as well

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Sat May 21, 2016 9:44 am

Nice shop and fine work. Very impressive. Thanks for the pics. I hoist one in your honor...

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon May 23, 2016 9:47 am

I really miss my 36 x 12 metal lathe. Since you're to far to visit and I have several projects that a lathe would be soooo much easier, can you send me yours? (Kidding of course)

I once set up Ford 460 automatic with a roll up door 16' cargo box truck as a mobile garage. Up front it contained my rough and finishing wood working tools. I had nearly all my mechanic and machine tools also. Mounted the Lathe on one side and a stand up drill press on the other at the rear for quick and EZ cleanup. Tool boxes were also mounted in the middle and pulled dbl-duty as work benches. To be 100% self reliant I also mounted a 4K gas generator under the rear and shielded from road dust. I cut a trap door style hole through the floor to pull start it. Back then it was a real shame the US made generators were so ungodly noisy, had to wear ear protection since the noise echoed in the truck.
AHHhhh those were the days.... but with all that weight the fuel mileage suffered a bit.

REALLY fine work, so OEM clean looking, better looking than hacking up the wires.

;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

deanbw

Postby deanbw » Mon May 23, 2016 11:04 am

FM-USA wrote:I really miss my 36 x 12 metal lathe. Since you're to far to visit and I have several projects that a lathe would be soooo much easier, can you send me yours? (Kidding of course)

I once set up Ford 460 automatic with a roll up door 16' cargo box truck as a mobile garage. Up front it contained my rough and finishing wood working tools. I had nearly all my mechanic and machine tools also. Mounted the Lathe on one side and a stand up drill press on the other at the rear for quick and EZ cleanup. Tool boxes were also mounted in the middle and pulled dbl-duty as work benches. To be 100% self reliant I also mounted a 4K gas generator under the rear and shielded from road dust. I cut a trap door style hole through the floor to pull start it. Back then it was a real shame the US made generators were so ungodly noisy, had to wear ear protection since the noise echoed in the truck.
AHHhhh those were the days.... but with all that weight the fuel mileage suffered a bit.

REALLY fine work you did there.
Better looking than hacking up the wires.

;)

I worked next to a sheet metal shop years ago and when the owner retired, he did the same thing. He put a small shop in a truck and went around doing small on site repairs just to keep himself active. He had it for a few years then sold it to a young kid who wanted to go into business for himself.
The small lathe is a 13x44 that I have had for about 28 years, the green yellow one is a 16x40 with a big spindle bore (3.150) and the knee mill I have had for about 20 years. The other stuff I've bought as needed or as they came along, shop is getting crowded, I'm thinking of adding on a room for compressor, table saw, elec/hyd press, stuff that takes up space and doesn't need to be in shop.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon May 23, 2016 11:47 am

deanbw wrote: I worked next to a sheet metal shop years ago and when the owner retired, he did the same thing. He put a small shop in a truck and went around doing small on site repairs just to keep himself active. He had it for a few years then sold it to a young kid who wanted to go into business for himself.
The small lathe is a 13x44 that I have had for about 28 years, the green yellow one is a 16x40 with a big spindle bore (3.150) and the knee mill I have had for about 20 years. The other stuff I've bought as needed or as they came along, shop is getting crowded, I'm thinking of adding on a room for compressor, table saw, elec/hyd press, stuff that takes up space and doesn't need to be in shop.

Birds of a feather.
I've been loosely looking for a (minimum size) 8 x 32, 1.8" bore lathe, can be a little larger but must be light weight. Must have the gearbox. Becoming a tuff bird to find at a reasonable price.
I can only do so much by using the drill press as a vertical & horizontal lathe. I made a wall mounted 360* pivot so the press can be turned any angle but it oscillates a little, more trade offs.

And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

deanbw

Postby deanbw » Mon May 23, 2016 2:28 pm

Birds of a feather.
I've been loosely looking for a (minimum size) 8 x 32, 1.8" bore lathe, can be a little larger but must be light weight. Must have the gearbox. Becoming a tuff bird to find at a reasonable price.
I can only do so much by using the drill press as a vertical & horizontal lathe. I made a wall mounted 360* pivot so the press can be turned any angle but it oscillates a little, more trade offs.

atlas12.gif
[/quote]
I have been a machinist since before I got out of high school in 76, spent my last year at voc school because they wouldn't let me take shop all day. In 1994 I opened my own shop and made food processing equipment (water jet stuff) for con-agra , Tyson, stein mostly poultry. I sold about 10 years ago and went into live theatre (broadway, rock concerts, that kind of stuff as ops manager) but I keep a shop at home for my stuff. I come across tools every now and then, if I hear of something I'll tell you. I just bought a vert 14in band saw for 250.00 that I can still buy new for 3025.00. I do have a lathe for sale, it's a 22in by 120in may be a little more than your looking for :) I find something small I'll be in touch.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon May 23, 2016 4:50 pm

deanbw wrote:Birds of a feather.

I have been a machinist since before I got out of high school in 76, spent my last year at voc school because they wouldn't let me take shop all day. In 1994 I opened my own shop and made food processing equipment (water jet stuff) for con-agra , Tyson, stein mostly poultry. I sold about 10 years ago and went into live theatre (broadway, rock concerts, that kind of stuff as ops manager) but I keep a shop at home for my stuff. I come across tools every now and then, if I hear of something I'll tell you. I just bought a vert 14in band saw for 250.00 that I can still buy new for 3025.00. I do have a lathe for sale, it's a 22in by 120in may be a little more than your looking for :) I find something small I'll be in touch.

Birds of a feather. [PART 2]
WOW, our machinist lives, near parallel, HS Honors-Grad 1971. I couldn't take all shops in 4th year (3 years max) but I conned a 4th year of auto, machine and drafting, those 3 intermix well... well until the digital age matured. :|
First father-in-law had a machine shop, SPAN Machinery if you heard of it, where I just helped out whenever he needed knowledgeable extra hands. He was the type of guy that built a generator to lower his shop costs. It being so efficient he usually got paid from the electric company... hence no elec. bills for shop and house. :D
Allis Chalmers engine div. in Harvey. After a month or so they found I was able to run any machine so I was my 3rd shift fill-in for vacation work-mates. Then Fiat came in the picture and I didn't wish to relocate, her family connections thing.
OH! Just remembered, my first lathe experience was at budding teen age and used two of my dads 1/2" drills facing each other. I found out immediately when both were spinning, hole drilling was automatically centered. I still use 2 drill when making Pro Darts from my now meager stock of 90 & 95% Tungsten. Lucky me, no one wants knurled barrels anymore. :roll:
22 x 120? Yahhhh slightly too big for my tinkering use. Current longest length material wood be 36" (cue sticks). That's what the lathe will mainly be used for. I have that cue making urge again. Oh sure, I can buy blanks and slather on some veneer. NOT for me, NOT my style, that be like cheap chinese knockoffs (finger down throat). Theirs two kinds of cue makers, one build it for looks, I do it for ultimate performance. WHICH is becoming a lost art, like Stradivarius.

Now a comparison of a Cueist and Motorcycleist,...
"Pool players and hog riders have something in common. One's A USER, the other A POSER." :twisted:
(see my sidebar signature)

ENJOY

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”