86 SEI starter

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
stinvinn
Motorcycle: 1986 aspencade SE-I

86 SEI starter

Postby stinvinn » Fri May 20, 2016 6:29 am

ok so my starter is making a horrible grinding noise .. first off replace the starter or rebuild .. second can the starter be removed by loosen exashst

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: 86 SEI starter

Postby SilverDave » Fri May 20, 2016 10:31 am

The best answer is .... Sometimes ...

See here for lots of hints and tricks :
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13017

Before you even start ... have you tried some MMO in the oil for a 100 miles or so ?? What sort of grinding noise is it ?

Each year of 1200 seems to be slightly different ... I spent a couple of hours trying to get mine out before I gave up and dropped the exhaust. Even then it was several wiggle and twist motions to get it in my hand .

Unless something in the sprague gear is actually broken, a rebuild is a very economical way to go ... most Auto Electric shops can do this job quite cheaply .

....BUT even if you do have to buy new crush gaskets for the exhaust ... its still gonna be way, way cheaper than having Mother Honda do it :
First line in both MY manuals on starter removal :
1) First, remove the engine , as described in chapter 6 .....and thats what most shops will do !! Big Bucks !!

My only hint might be .. careful with the exhaust bolts .. they are 30 years old and probably brittle .. lots of penetrating oil , or the candle trick ....

SilverDave

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Your SEI should be similar to my '85 LTD. I had to drop the exhaust and remove the exhaust stud closest to the starter - think I read this in the supplement for the LTD. SD is correct, be careful when removing the exhaust stud. While you have the exhaust lowered, consider changing the exhaust studs and nut/washer for new, makes the next time that much easier.

Many have had success with buying a starter rebuild kit and doing it themselves. The hardest part will probably be removing the starter, but don't start until you have the rebuild kit.

From my readings on the starter clutch, the issue is crud build up and very minimal oil lubrication. Try an oil system flush, couple over the next few months. An indication that the starter clutch is not operating quite correctly may be the run on of the starter clutch after the engine starts - sounds like a bendix failure on a car. If the oil system flush does not change this, you may have to in the future rebuild the starter clutch. The engine will have to be removed to rebuild the starter clutch. If you do have to remove the engine for whatever reason, I'd recommend starter clutch rebuild by changing the three sets of spring, spring cap and roller.

When the starter is removed, do not worry about the starter gear falling into the engine, cannot happen. Do have the bike slightly inclined to the left as it will keep the starter gear in position for install of the starter.

Good luck. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Fri May 20, 2016 4:40 pm

I very much doubt that an oil flush or MMO is going to fix a horrible grinding noise. Remove starter and test on bench. Hopefully the noise will be in the starter. If it sounds good, there are other problems. If the starter sounds bad, rebuild or replace...Good Luck

stinvinn
Motorcycle: 1986 aspencade SE-I

Postby stinvinn » Fri May 20, 2016 7:23 pm

removed the starter seems good.....prob starter clutch witch means the engine needs to be removed not looking forward to this.... but shes to good to put down

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Sat May 21, 2016 9:25 am

Oh , that sucks. You may want to do some further troubleshooting as to the cause of the noise. I don't know what else to look for but eliminateing other possable causes of the noise might save you a lot of work.

I have an SEi also, how many miles is on yours. Did you have to drop the pipes to remove the starter? Good luck with your bike...Rusty

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat May 21, 2016 1:21 pm

stinvinn, i also have the 86 SEi, and i too had to change the starter. trust me, for the few extra minutes it takes you to drop the front of the exhaust down, it'll be worth it. you might have to take off the left engine case guard as well like i did with mine. its much easier with the exhaust down. the more you have out of your way the easier it will be.

stuart.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”