'85 LTD Clutch Rebuild

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

'85 LTD Clutch Rebuild

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:26 pm

I am rebuilding the clutch on my '85 LTD as part of my stator replacement - engine is out of the bike. The steel discs are discoloured from overheating as is the damper. I am renewing the friction and steel discs, and should do the damper as well.

Contacted my parts guy and the damper, Plate "B" item #6 in the fiche P/N 22322-MG9-000, is discontinued by Honda.

It was recommended by another member to "bin the damper", and to visit the NGW site regarding this issue.

I did find the information regarding this change. It is to replace the damper with two of the plain steel discs. One disc is placed next to the pressure plate, the other in the same location in the clutch stack where the damper would be. These two additional plates maintain the clutch stack size.

Since the damper is no longer available, and putting a used one in with new parts is not a best engineering practice, I will be doing the damper mod.

The plain steel discs also have to be oriented properly. The disc has one sharp edge and one rounded edge. The rounded edge has to face away from the pressure plate (towards the rear case). If/when you do a clutch rebuild take note of the orientation of these discs. I did not find this mentioned in the service manuals.

Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Re: '85 LTD Clutch Rebuild

Postby Rednaxs60 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:31 pm

Did the clutch rebuild; however, did not "bin the damper", but put in a new one. Tried the clutch mod as recommended, but found that the new clutch stack was approximately 0.023 inch shorter than the original clutch stack with the damper in it. This amount of play in the clutch stack was not acceptable so I found a new damper and installed it. Clutch should now be good for another 100,000 Kms or better.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”