GL 1200 wont start

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
GlassDC2B
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1990 GL1500

GL 1200 wont start

Postby GlassDC2B » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:19 am

I need some assistance. I have a 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Aspencade. I have spent the last few months taking her apart and rebuilding her. I first decided to replace stop using the stator and add the poor boy kit. I have everything installed I think correctly as to what I have found on this forum. As I received no instructions from poor boy. It was a pain in the but trying to find the right belt that would fit the bike.Eventually I did and got that project completed. I ran a wire from the output post of the alternator to the battery. I had bought a used alternator off of ebay in an effort to have the exact alternator required for the project. I then ran one line to where the rectifier was connected. ( I removed the rectifier in the process) The wire was connected to the male end of the plug on the 3 blade from the right on the clip side of the plug. I tried to start her up and the motor turned over and over and nothing.

I checked the main 3 spark, air and fuel. I had air it was wide open filter out and cover off. I had fuel checked the pump. No spark. I had found some information on a few posts in reference to the C5 Ignitions. I had been thinking about installing it but wasnt sure as I dont like to replace until Its starting to display that I need to replace it. So in this case I had no spark and I had power going to the coils. So i stopped the project ordered the parts for the bike and waited. The guy I emailed back and forth was great, I give them an A in customer service. I recieved the parts and installed. From the main board I connected the:

Brown and blue lead to ground.
Red wire i piggy backed the ignition fuse in the fuse panel.
White lead to my left mounted coil.
Black lead to the right mounted coil.
Green Lead to the yellow and green wire that was connected to the stock coils

The coils as per the instructions stated that the white wired coil was to control the rear 2 pistons. so of the the white wired coil I placed the furthest left lead to spark plug at the left and rear (As per seated on the bike). I installed the other lead to the rear and right. Then with the black wired coil I connected the leads in the same fashion. Furthest left to the Left front and furthest right to the right front. I verified the timing of the bike with the timing "T" and then I set the plate on the ignition so that the light lit up. all is good I completed the install.

I went to start the bike and it turned and turned and thats all I got. so I check for spark yep I got spark, I checked for air yep I have air. I then checked the fuel pump. nope no fuel. verified the pump did not work I connected leads to the just the pump and put them up to the battery it did nothing. Thus not pump. I had found a post that another pump from a 85 Honda prelude would work. Went out bought one installed it and crap it doesnt work at all either. Tested it to my battery and it began to pump. So I have determined that I do not have power going to the pump leads from the harness. I did some research in looking for the fuel pump relay. Couldn't find out how to test it though.

Note : The bike is a quart low on oil, There is no coolant in the bike and the fan was not connected. Could either of these have stopped the power going to the fuel pump?

GlassDC2B
1990 GL1500

Re: GL 1200 wont start

Postby GlassDC2B » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:42 pm

Update:

In doing research from another site in concerns to a C5 ignition. I read that by removing the coils, this opened the circuit which disables the Fuel Pump relay. I also read that if I was to install a 12 Ohm 25 watt resistor in line connecting the positive and the negative of the OEM coil power leads. So two resistors one for each set of leads, that it would be putting the circuit back in play. Has anyone done this before or has a way for me to fix this that would be great. Thank you in advance.

GlassDC2B
1990 GL1500

Postby GlassDC2B » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:06 am

Thanks for all the help and assistance. So after hours of schematic crawling and C5 research. I determined that on a 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Aspencade in order to use a C5 Ignition on the bike you have to keep one OEM coil installed in order to complete the fuel circuit. Otherwise the fuel relay circuit will not close, in order to energize the fuel pump and get fuel to the Carburetor. The coil needed to remain in the circuit is the right side coil. Now this worked for my bike as per the schematic. I hope this helps someone else. Though I am not a certified mechanic.

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Postby twocams » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:20 am

I just want to ask one dumb question. Why spend over $500 and all that time and trouble, when you can buy new GL1500 coils and wires for $200 and they hook right up. With more spark. Or you can buy used ones on ebay for $22-$85. Maybe Im missing the whole point here. That looks like an electronic nightmare, if anything goes wrong/figure out if it wont start sometime. let us know when you get her on the road and if the performance is better.

twocams

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”